Sunday, December 31, 2023

Sunday Snippet: A Bright, Burning Yule (a Holiday Spirit short)

Well, it's kind of fitting that my last blog post for 2023 is on the actual last day of the year. I'm taking that as a good vibe to carry into 2024.

Had a semidecent week. Finished up a couple of things that needed attention and started to get my website updated after a very long dry spell. I'm also very close to launching the new endeavor I've been working on for several months.

Did pretty much a full run-through of my usual slate of shows. I have a whole lineup of holiday stuff I want to watch also. I know it's weird to wait until after the holiday is over but I've been very Scrinch-like the past couple of weeks, mainly because of the yucky cold.

Started out with My Life Is Murder and enjoyed the episode. I will say I still get a little put off by how prickly Alexa can be. I'm sure that's by design, but it annoys me.

Agatha Raisin kind of crushed me a little. I love Agatha and James and having them kind of end things breaks my heart. But I do love they ended on a soft goodbye instead of a harsh one. Looking forward to the next episode.

Started a new two-part Silent Witness and I'm kind of surprised how things played out. Did not expect the new guy to have such a dark secret. I love that he exposed it himself. Can't wait to see how this ends.

Caught an episode of Death in Paradise and it's one I'd seen before. Meeting Humph's dad explains so much. I love how this episode played out. Looking forward to starting Beyond Paradise to see if there's more of Humph's family.

Watched another episode of Elementary. Loved diving into Joan's previous life a little. I'm very intrigued by her and having glimpses into her former profession is always fun.

Finally continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. This episode had some great moments even if it ended up being heavier on the cylon lore. Hoping to catch another episode in the near future. Also need to backtrack a little and watch the webisodes and movie.

Enjoyed another episode of The Batman. I actually remembered this one because Alfred ended up being a lot of fun. I love it when he steps out of his comfort zone into his former life.

Caught an episode of Classic Rugrats. I have vague memories of this one, especially Angelica trying to be silent. In all fairness, she got robbed for once.

Watched another episode of The Secret Life of Amy Benson. I have one more left for the first season. So far, I'm enjoying it, but I'm glad I have season two ready to go because I have feeling the first is going to end on a cliffhanger.

Finished up my episode of VIP from last week and started a new one. I forgot I didn't get all the way through the episode because I remembered how it ended.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from A Bright, Burning Yule, a holiday spirit short.

Here's the miniblurb:

Stella Silverbell, a holiday spirit, is tasked with bringing Nyssa Nameth, the ultra female werewolf, together with the Braddox Bennington, the prime hunter of all wolf shifters, during the Yule season. Their joining can end centuries of misconception, but they have to get over their preconceived notions first.

And a preview snippet…

Braddox Bennington paused with a towel to his head after a shower when someone burst through the front door.

"Braddox? Where the hell are you?" A cousin, Hank Hamel, shouted up the steps.

Braddox answered. "Gimme five. I'll be right down." He dragged some workout clothes on and flung the towel over his shoulder before descending the stairs to find Hank in the study. "What's up?" He draped the towel over the banister and dropped down onto the couch.

Hank paced back and forth in front of the fire. "Why haven't you organized a hunt? It's been months since we've patrolled for the wolves." He stopped and planted his hands on his hips.

Braddox frowned. "Have there been new reports? Are the packs running wild?" He should've been informed if there were.

Hank glanced away. "No, they're all quiet and barely poking their heads out to scent the wind." His face reddened.

Braddox bit back frustration. "Then what's the rush? Dad's only been gone for two months. And his death wasn't suspicious." If it had been, Braddox wouldn't hesitate to call for a hunt. "We knew he didn't have long once the diagnosis came through." An inoperable brain tumor could not be called into doubt.

Braddox didn't want the mantle of leadership, but he wouldn't walk away. His bloodthirsty relatives made sure of that. If anything, his brothers, cousins, and uncles hastened his father's demise.

And Braddox faced his first holiday without his dad and wanted a little time to adjust. "If you guys need something to do, why don't you catalog and update the book of kills? Dad only made it up to the 1950s." Maybe if they noted just how many of the packs they'd eliminated, they'd lose some of their bloodlust.

Hank snorted. "No way, man. That's the leader's job." He hand-waved the idea and sat in the chair closest to the sofa.

Braddox shook his head. "No, Hank. It's my job to make sure they're entered. There's nothing written about how to make that happen." Or who had to make it so.

Hank leaned forward. "Dude, you're gonna have a revolt on your hands if you think this will fly." He huffed out a rude snort.

Braddox shrugged. "So be it. Anyone who wants to challenge me for top-spot status can do so." He might welcome the challenge. "But let's get through our yule season first. I didn't get to take any time after Mom died five years ago, and I refuse to pull anyone else away from their families during the holidays." Even if some of them probably wanted an excuse to cut out.

Hank leaned back again. "Yeah, okay. But look, you've got to consider a full summit after the new year. If you don't, you will be challenged for top spot." He got up and headed for the door.

Braddox followed. "I'll let you know what I decide. Have a happy yule." He closed the door and headed back to the couch.

Braddox couldn't find fault with Hank's warning. He didn't doubt he'd face a pile of trouble if he didn't gather everyone and take a stab at being their leader. But he couldn't continue with business as usual. He would not rule the way his father had. Or at least not the way he had after his wife died.

And that would piss a lot of his relatives off.

Flopping down, his head hit the back of the cushions. "Bah, I don't want this conflict." He wanted something different.

A rustling outside the door drew his attention. Maybe Hank had returned to offer more unwanted advice. Rising, he crossed the room again and pulled the door open, ready to blast his cousin.

Instead, his mouth snapped shut when a hovering envelope greeted him.

Braddox snagged it and shut the cold out. Removing the seal, he retrieved a parchment folded in half.

 

You need some time and space to grieve, regroup, ponder, and adjust.

Why not spend the Yule holiday at the Goodacre Bed and Breakfast?

 

Directions were printed below along with an invitation to cross into the nether realm whenever he'd like.

Braddox huffed out a breath. "Why the hell not?" Maybe some time away would get his mind on the right track and help him decide what to do about the future.

And actually give me time to mourn my dad.

Braddox headed back upstairs to pack.

This one is complete and ready to launch into the universe. I'll be uploading the information in the next week or so.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye


No comments:

Post a Comment