Sunday, January 28, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Casting Spells (a Lantern Jack tale)

Geez. I can't believe January is almost over. It's been a month. Hell, it's been a year and we're only through the first month. Heh.

Had a crazy-busy work week and I'm so thrilled! Several new projects are in my calendar and I'm moving full steam ahead on my new venture. Truly hoping I'll have it ready to launch in the next few weeks.

Solid week of viewing. Didn't quite make it through my full list of shows, but the new work projects are taking priority and I'm totally okay with that.

Started with My Life Is Murder. So much fun to see Renee O'Connor acting with Lucy Lawless again. A great episode.

Enjoyed another Agatha Raisin episode. Nice to have James back even though I have a feeling he won't be a permanent fixture. The episode ended on a cliffhanger so I'm looking forward to picking back up this week.

Watched the first of a two-part Silent Witness. The tension building in this episode ended up being excellent. I'm a bit disappointed in Nikki's story thread. The student seriously screamed creepy stalker from the first moment he popped up on screen. I have a very sneaking suspicion he did something and if true, I really want a major repercussion. I'm also hoping like hell Jack's family isn't going to be smaller by the end of the next episode.

Caught another episode of Death in Paradise and had seen bits and pieces of this one. So glad I got to watch the whole thing. I like getting backstory for the island cast.

Enjoyed an episode of Elementary. Kind of loved Sherlock sort of being there for Watson at the end. The dynamic between the two characters is fun to watch. Getting a glimpse of Jane's backstory is also nice. Makes me wonder about the lawyer guy though. I'm not a fan of fast and loose storytelling.

Started season two of The Batman. I remember being so disappointed they changed the theme song. I do rather like the introduction of Batgirl.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. Loved this the first time it aired and thoroughly enjoyed again. So much fun.

Starting my viewing schedule over again. The Secret Life of Amy Benson, VIP, and Battlestar Galactica will hopefully get a watch this week. I also need to pick back up with Peak Practice in the near future.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Casting Spells, a Lantern Jack novella.

Here's the miniblurb:

The Lantern Jack is back to right another wrong. Celia Carmichael is overwhelmed by her new role as coven head and she's determined to learn all she can about the familiar who chose her, the cat named Haven. Nyx Nolan is on a mission to discover where the remains of his ancestor, the former leader of the warden of warlocks is buried. The man disappeared over a century ago and left a signet ring and a photo for Nyx as the only clue to his whereabouts. Celia and Nyx discover their histories are entwined and they have the power to lay the animosity between the witches and the warlocks to rest.

And a preview snippet…

Nyx Nolan issued a terse demand into his phone. "Buy the company. They won't get a better offer." He'd doubled the asking price.

His warden hovered on the brink of financial collapse. Nyx had a golden touch but the other warlocks weren't as naturally gifted. The warden's resources had dwindled over the last several generations.

Nyx snorted. "My father hasn't helped." The man's proclivities were legendary, and his generation spent faster than they acquired.

Wresting control hadn't been easy, but Nyx had a window of opportunity to prove he had the stones to lead.

"It would be easier if I didn't meet with opposition on every front." Or some lame mystery to solve.

He fingered the packet delivered by special courier this morning. A quick spell cast revealed layers of protective magick with a blood connection. So, a relative would somehow be involved.

But how? "Maybe one of my ancestors had a vision?" He couldn't think of anything else to explain the mysterious package. "Only one way to find out." He buzzed his admin, Benoit Lethgate. "No disturbances until further notice. That includes my father." Nyx did not want to deal with his dad's issues today.

Benoit gave his assurance. "I understand, Mr. Nolan. You can be sure if anyone gets past me, I'm either dead or dying."

Nyx thanked the admin and signed off, chuckling at the Mr. Nolan bit. Nolan grew up with Benoit and their friendship went back to their childhood. He couldn't imagine a better person to have his back.

Nolan also took Benoit at his word. The physically imposing man would not let anyone near Nyx until he gave the word. The former linebacker didn't lack physical prowess, not at six-three and one hundred ninety pounds, and he had a strong handle on spellcasting. A veritable army wouldn't get by the beefy man.

Benoit often acted as a bodyguard when Nyx traveled, which tended to not be necessary, but the man's presence often saved time and hassle. Other fae beings usually thought twice about testing Benoit's patience. And that gave Nyx time to do what he needed.

Nyx spent several hours getting through the protective bindings of the package. When the final seal lifted, he opened the box to find a signet ring with an enclosed photo of a manor house along with a note.

 

Seek information … knowledge will come.

Find the manor house … clues to the past.

Take no one else … travel from your home.

Reveal the secret … find truth at last.

 

Answers to the past were a priority for Nyx. He needed to know why the fortunes of the warlocks turned terrible. Had they been cursed? Hexed? And, if so, why?

He got up and crossed his office, pulling the door open. "Benoit, I'm going to need you to run interference for me." And maybe not ask any questions.

Benoit narrowed his eyes, studying Nyx for a long moment, then gave an emphatic nod. "Whatever you need, boss."

The Lantern Jack tales are so much fun to write. I love weaving in Jack's back story with the current issues the main couples face.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment