Sunday, January 21, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Calamity of Chaos (a Chaos novella)

Still bitterly cold in Ohio, but by midweek, we'll see high forties and low fifties and lots of rain. We're going to have a lot of sick people in the near future. The back-and-forth weather is horrible for keeping folks healthy.

Busy work week again, which I'm so thankful for. I'm also working on my new venture and should have news soon. I'm hoping by February.

Decent viewing week. I didn't quite make a full run-through of all my shows, but I got very close.

Started with My Life Is Murder again. Very interesting episode with some fun backstory. I love getting more information about the characters.

Watched a holiday episode of Agatha Raisin. This one kicked off season four and it ended up being a lot of fun. I loved the mix of characters.

Finally continued my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica with the feature of Razor. We had to backtrack a little to pick up with this one. I'd forgotten how much I loved Lee in this special feature.

Caught an episode of Silent Witness, which finished up a two-parter. I feel for Jack, and I loved getting some more details about his family. I feel for what Ryan's been through, but I'm glad Jack is finished covering for his brother.

Watched another episode of Death in Paradise. This is another episode I didn't get to see, and I quite enjoyed following the clues. Looking forward to another episode

Enjoyed another episode of Elementary. Lots of twists and turns in this one. Also loved Joan trying to find Sherlock a sponsor and him not quite being able to just say he doesn't want her to leave at the end of her contract.

Caught the final episode of The Batman season one. Excellent finale with three of the big bads trying to unmask Batman. Also loved the introduction of Commissioner Gordon. Looking forward to starting season two.

Watched another episode of Classic Rugrats. Both vignettes were ones I didn't remember so nice to have something new to me.

Started season two of The Secret Life of Amy Benson and rather liked the first episode. I'm a little curious how much book detail is being left out, but I don't think it takes away from what we're seeing.

Also started an episode of VIP but didn't get to finish it. I'm not even sure what's going on yet.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Calamity of Chaos, a Chaos novella.

Here's the miniblurb:

Esme and Ashton embark on a trip to America, on the trail of their nemesis's partner. Calamity ensues when they stumble upon a dastardly plot to keep them from returning home.

And a preview snippet…

Ash pulled Eric aside. "You're absolutely certain you won't join us?" He could delay the launch by a day.

Eric shook his head. "You've been asking me that for the past week. I'm not going to change my mind." He crossed the hangar and retrieved a bag from the pile being loaded into the ship's hull. "Besides, someone has to hold down the estate." His gaze drifted to the woman standing next to Esme. "And I won't leave Bonnie. Not until Mobride is no longer a threat."

Ash didn't blame Eric. Bonnie Lancaster risked her life to help Eric and saved Ash in the process. Eric found himself a stellar woman. The fact that Mobride used to abuse her during his brothel visits made her role in his downfall particularly contentious.

Eric stooped down and unlaced the top of the bag. "I do, however, have a couple of gifts for you. Already showed Del how they work." Reaching inside, he withdrew a rectangular slab. "This detects Olympus and will give a reading on how refined the ore is." He nodded toward the canvas satchel. "There's one for you, Del, Esme, and Smithers." He bent down again. "I also have something that might save time if you need to reach us over here." Holding a large box-shaped item, he opened the hinged top. "You'll need refined ore and a wide-open space, preferably someplace high up, to operate this device. The Olympus gives it a long range and I have the matching device in the carriage house." He tucked the communicator back inside the bag and refastened the laces.

Ash huffed out a breath. "You never cease to amaze. What else is in there?" He nodded toward the duffel.

Eric's lips twitched. "Some odds and ends. Del can fill you in." Rising, he jerked his head toward the rest of the group. "Let's get you guys boarded. Then I'm going to get Bonnie home and settled in." He started toward the others.

Ash fell into step beside Eric. "Does that communicator work both ways? Can you contact us if needed?" Moving Bonnie to the estate should afford the most protection, but Ash didn't count Mobride completely out.

Eric's lips curved. "Probably." His gaze darkened. "But I added some perimeter defenses to the estate, so I rather doubt we'll need to get ahold of you."

Ash chuckled. "I should've known you'd have things well in hand."

I'm having a lot of fun with this series. I'm not going full-on steampunk but I hope the vibe is there.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment