Sunday, April 7, 2024

Sunday Snippet: An Enticing Yule (Holiday Spirit short)

April is starting off with a bang. We've had seven days of volatile weather. Thunderstorms, tornadoes, flooding, and another big drop in temperature with snow flurries. I thought for a while we might end up with a blizzardnado—complete with sharks. If you know you know. It's that time of year where keeping warm-weather clothes beside arctic gear isn't a bad idea.

Due to the crazy weather, I didn't get a lot of viewing in this week. I also had a full plate plus dessert of work projects. I'm very happy to have multiple things to occupy my time!

I did get another episode of My Life Is Murder in and loved getting to see Madison strut her stuff undercover. I'm going to miss this show when I'm finished watching.

Caught Midsomer Murder's final episode for this season. Enjoyed the mystery. I'm a little disappointed that it feels like the characters don't know much about each other. Winter has been with Barnaby for quite some time now and it seems like the interactions they've had in the past are quickly forgotten. Really the only thing that kind of irritates me about British mystery shows.

Finished up the second half of Silent Witness. I think I'm going to like the new guys. I really enjoy Jack and Nikki together. The case was very confusing, but I ended up liking how things turned out.

Watched another episode of Death in Paradise. It's almost the end of Humphrey's run and I'm kind of excited to finish up and start Jack's journey. And also pick up with Humphrey and Martha back in England.

Enjoyed an episode of Elementary. Kind of fun to see some of Joan's old life collide with her new one. Not super thrilled that her friends thought she needed an intervention, but at least they came around by the end.

That's it for the life update this week. I'm hoping to get back on track this week, barring any weird and wild weather.

Tonight's post is from An Enticing Yule, a holiday spirit short featuring a shifter and a watcher.

Here's the miniblurb:

A shifter and a watcher have to find their Yule cheer … with a little help from holiday spirit, Cinnamon Mistleberry. She's got her work cut out for her. Pandora Prewitt is a multi-shifter struggling to find her true form or risk banishment from her tribe. Dexter Diamond is a watcher, the group of preternatural humans who document the shifter chronicles, questioning his life's work. Cinnamon brings the duo together at Yule to show them the enticing value of love.

And a preview snippet…

Dexter didn't need the confirming nod from the other invitee.

And the moment he got within two feet of her, his senses kicked in. Shifter. Well, damn. Nothing like being on the spot. She didn't look all that happy to see him either.

He grabbed his bag. "Look, I'll leave. You got here first." He'd find somewhere else to figure out his future.

She reached out, placing a hand on his bicep. "You don't have to do that." She flung an arm out. "Look at this place. There's more than enough room for two." She removed her palm from his sleeve and stepped back. "I just thought…" Her words trailed off, leaving an awkward vibe.

He picked up on her thought. "That you'd be alone, right?" Yeah, he kind of thought the same.

She lifted a shoulder. "Well, yeah." She shook her head "No matter." Her hand shot forward. "Pandora Prewitt."

Familiar with the name, a piece fell into place.

He clasped her palm. "Dexter Diamond. I have a feeling we're here by design." He let go and pointed toward the sitting room. "Let's maybe get a little comfortable." He headed through the arched entryway.

Someone definitely put a little thought into the décor. A fire burned in the hearth. Greenery draped … everywhere. Muted gold complemented the earthy tones of the garlands. Welcome comfort almost anyone would feel … but he could be the exception.

Pandora followed him inside. "What do you mean, we're here by design?" Her gaze swept the area, and she gave a slight nod.

He settled in a wingback chair. "You're a shifter. One, I'm assuming, facing a dilemma." He didn't need to be a genius to sense she had trouble on her mind.

Her eyes widened and she perched on the edge of the sofa. "How do you know that?" A note of wariness entered her gaze.

Dexter rolled a shoulder. "It's my job. I'm a watcher."

She opened her mouth then closed it.

He gave her a minute to digest the information. "We don't normally interact with pack members. It's easier if we don't." At least he'd learned that much.

Pandora's chin lifted. "Helps with objectivity, right?"

He smiled. "Something like that." Not that he ever stayed objective.

Pandora leaned against the armrest. "You think someone brought us together on purpose?" Her tone betrayed the interest she had in the topic.

Dexter gave a nod. "More like something, but, yeah, that's what my gut is telling me." Not that he trusted his internal barometer much right now.

She went quiet again, gazing into the fire. Dexter let the silence stretch out, testing his rusty instincts. Pandora would open up if she wanted to. If not, well, still more than enough room for two in the house.

She finally turned her attention to him again. "I want to be angry at being manipulated, but, honestly, I've hit the lowest place I can be in. Having someone else here might save my life."

As far as reactions went … totally not what he expected.

I love writing the holiday spirit shorts. It's so much fun coming up with the conflict and names for the spirits.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment