Sunday, April 21, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Events in Motion

Can't believe we're almost through April. And yet … it's been a really long month. May has some great things happening, namely my youngest graduating from college. She starts grad school in the fall, and I'm amazed by her. I can't wait to see what she does with her future.

Had an okay week of viewing. I'm behind on my work projects so I didn't push hard to get stuff watched, but I did make a full rotation of my shows.

I finished the regular series of My Life Is Murder. I have the bonus content left to watch. I actually loved this show. And, to my astonishment, it looks like there will be a fourth season! And it premieres tonight if I can trust the interwebs.

Caught an episode of Madame Blanc Mysteries. A little disappointed with the friction and push back from Caron about interference with the case, but it's probably a little more true to life than not.

Finished up Silent Witness and loved how it ended. Things didn't go quite the way I expected. I love it when that happens.

Watched the first episode of Jack's tenure of Death in Paradise. I liked the transition from Humphrey to Jack. We're also getting into episodes I've not seen anything of yet and I'm excited to watch new stuff.

Enjoyed an episode of Elementary. This one didn't have the police coming to Sherlock for consultation. He brought a case to them, and I'd like to see more of that. Almost through the first season so maybe I'll get what I want here.

Caught another episode of The Batman and it's one I remembered watching before. I love it when Alfred's past comes calling. He's got some interesting friends.

Watched an episode of Classic Rugrats and, again, this is a new to me one. I don't remember either of the vignettes and that's always fun for me.

Finished out the week with some more Peak Practice. I'm trying to get through the episode I started a few weeks ago. I might get it finished this week.

That's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Events in Motion, a novella that explores the journey a couple has to take to find a new home.

Here's the miniblurb:

Fate has a plan for Drury, one she's not all that certain she wants to follow. Porter doesn't believe in destiny, but when Drury sets a chain of events in motion, he has to change his perspective or risk losing her to chance.

And a preview snippet…

Drury reached a deep level of meditation. The oracle said Dru would be able to achieve what she needed to. Foretold the future that would rely on something involving Dru and taking a new path.

As if doing actual meditation doesn't already count as something new and different.

She rarely got to the place where her focus zeroed in on specifics. Most of the time, meditating allowed her to silence the noise in her head for short bursts—long enough to stay sane but not lengthy enough to subdue the constant, quiet roar. Porter helped but she shouldn't keep using him.

Fuzzy images gained clarity in her mind's eye. A large, looming structure shifted through a series of snapshot moments. Quick flashes, barely more than blips in her brain shuffled like pages being turned. These are familiar. I know where this is.

Her eyes popped open. "I have to go to the temple." She took a moment to recenter her being then got to her feet.

Crossing the room, she started packing, tossing necessities into a large duffle. With no way of knowing how long she would need, she added enough to cover a week. Movement from behind had her turning to discover Porter leaning against the door jamb.

She zipped her bag. "I'm going to the temple. Whatever questions I have … the answers will be there." Or at least the starting point would be there.

Porter nodded. "Give me fifteen minutes. I'm going with you." He pushed away from the door and headed for the front entrance.

Her gaze narrowed but she didn't argue. She wanted him along. Instinct told her she could use his steady presence. And her heart settled somewhere between hope and wary consternation over his offer to come along.

Hoisting the duffle over her shoulder, she followed him. "Do you want to meet me there?" She set the bag on the table and grabbed a backpack to store water and food.

Porter shook his head. "No. From this moment forward, where you go I go. I'll pack, grab some more supplies then come back for you." He met her gaze. "Fifteen minutes. I promise." His hand twisted the doorknob.

Tears pricked behind her eyelids. "Why are you doing this?" She didn't really deserve his support.

Porter tilted his head to one side. "You need someone in your corner, Dru. I'm that person. I've got your back, and I always will." Pulling the door open, he headed outside.

She blinked hard to clear her vision, letting the teardrops trickle down her cheeks. Because … she didn't just need someone.

She needed him.

I'm very pleased with how this story is shaking out. Dru is in for a wild ride and Porter will keep her grounded.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment