Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Fan the Flames

Gearing up for a busy week with work projects and my youngest's graduation from college. I think we're also going to have some nasty weather, which should be fun.

Had a solid week of work and writing, which makes me very happy. I might be finding my groove again. I so hope I am. I'm not a fan of being unable to focus when I need to.

Had a decent week of television viewing. Made it through the modified list of shows and started over.

I caught the final two behind the character bonuses for My Life Is Murder. I'm somewhat hoping there's another season. Based on a little research, I think there might be.

Also watched two episodes of Madame Blanc Mysteries. Both were enjoyable. Kind of sad to see the pub owners no longer with the cast but interested in Dom's uncle being a possible addition. Hopefully he won't be too shady.

Enjoyed the two-part Silent Witness. A lot of twists and turns in this one and I liked them. Looking forward to starting a new two-parter this week.

Finished up season six and started season seven of Death in Paradise. I'm excited to dive further into Jack's tenure as the DI. It feels like this is when cast members start their merry-go-round of coming and going. But I'm looking forward to more of this show.

Caught another episode of Elementary and Moriarty is making their presence known. I'm kind of interested in how this might play out over the seasons. I'm very much loving the dynamic with Sherlock and Watson.

Watched another episode of The Batman. I guess it was the season two finale. It always kind of annoys me when the first season is twice as long as the remaining ones. That said, pretty sure Robin makes an appearance in season three so there's that.

Enjoyed an episode of Classic Rugrats. Again, these were new-to-me vignettes. Not sure what happened with season seven during the original run, but I'm happy to see those now.

Also finished up the Peak Practice episode I started a while ago. Hoping to get another one in this week.

That's it for the life update. Tonight's post is from Fan the Flames, a novella featuring a cupid that has to bring a couple together, but they don't make it easy for him.

Here's the miniblurb:

A modern-day cupid discovers a couple with matching auras and thinks he'll have an easy time matching them up. Right ... not so much. While Jamie and Alix definitely have the hots for each other, one big obstacle stands in their way—Jamie's job.

And a preview snippet…

Alix met the gaze of the man speaking and studied him for a moment. Attractive, except for that nasty comment, he looked tired and a little cranky. But he had to have some knowledge of her work.

Her lips curved upward. "You must be referring to the VanDyne house, the one that featured prominently in the holiday parade of homes last year." Her gaze scanned the other committee members. "The strict guidelines for the design parameters required the full Victorian treatment. Mr…"

The man's lips thinned. "O'Riley, but everyone calls me Jammer." He shifted in his seat and crossed his arms over his chest.

Alix knew the name. Joe mentioned Jammer on a regular basis. He failed to say the guy had a massive stick shoved up his ass.

She gave him a sweet smile. "Jammer it is then. Part of my job is to follow the client's requirements to the letter. In the case of the VanDyne home, the homeowner's association dictated a lot of the design features we went with." Moving the presentation along, she started to turn over the first board.

Jammer jumped in again. "What makes you think you can handle the design for the common areas and living quarters in a fire department while adhering to commercial code?" He quirked an eyebrow.

Alix flipped the board, her color scheme of rich earth tones with pops of red, black, and white drawing appreciative nods from the other committee members. "To answer Jammer's question, my degree is in residential and commercial interior space planning. I'm well-versed and up to date on all codes." She took the design board and started it around the table.

Glancing in Jammer's direction, she paused for half a second to see if he had anything else to bitch about. He brought his coffee mug to his lips and stayed silent.

Alix propped two boards side by side. "Since Jammer seems to have the most concerns, I'll offer to scrap the leather chairs and sofas, the dart boards, the flat screen TVs, and billiard tables for the living room along with the oversized eight burner stove, double fridge and freezers for the kitchen, and do away with the weights and cross fit equipment for the exercise area, if everyone agrees it's not what a firehouse needs." She met Jammer's gaze. "However, the frou-frou bedding with pom-poms for each of the bunks is a sticking point. I refuse to give up creative control for the sleeping area." She smirked then passed the two boards around then revealed the actual bunk room design. "All kidding aside, I'm aware you guys are on shift for twenty-four hours and my goal for the bunkroom is to make it comfortable during downtime." She pointed to the key features. "Semi-private berths, with space and charging stations for your electronic devices, and a fold down desk area will accompany each section." She started the last board around to the buzz of approval from most of the committee. "Bedding can be brought in, so if anyone isn't happy with the cool blues, taupe, and sienna color scheme, they can bring on the pink and polka dots." A round of laughter greeted her pithy remark.

Mr. Grouchy had the design boards laid out in front of him and had, so far, kept his mouth shut. Alix wondered if he'd get on board or go further into ass hat territory.

I love this story so much. Alix and Jamie are a lot of fun to write and bringing them together is a huge treat.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment