Sunday, June 16, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Going to Extremes

Happy Father's Day to anyone celebrating. For those not for whatever reason, I hope your day is filled with peace and calm and you find your joy.

It's been a really rough week. I definitely didn't make it through the worst the week prior. I had a lot more yuck to get through. Thankfully, I'm now down to some nagging congestion, but I can breathe again and I'm not coughing every five minutes, which makes me happy because we're due for some awful heat this week.

Managed to stay mostly on top of my work projects. I'm not as far along as I'd like to be, but I'm within my window to meet my deadlines. Not being 100 percent isn't fun but at least I can work around being less than my best. If I had a job with set hours, I'd still probably be fighting through the slog of upper respiratory yuck.

Had a very slow week of viewing. I didn't have the brain power to get involved in much of anything but comfort shows like Perry Mason and Midsomer Murders.

I did catch another Best in Paradise and thoroughly enjoyed the introduction from Don Warrington. It's fun to hear him speak without the Caribbean accent.

I also watched another Death in Paradise and it's one I only saw bits and pieces of when it first aired. Nice to see if from start to finish.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Hopefully I'll be back to somewhat normal for next week's entry.

Tonight's post is from Going to Extremes, a novella that got a start from a writing community prompt.

Here's the miniblurb:

In a magickal realm where dragons are born and raised, a proctor is using dark arts to gain control over the mystical beasts. To stop his plot, the undermage, Clemson Sentre, sends his best wranglers, Osana Wrang and Calix Sentre, to remove the proctor from power during an event with an esteemed rival. But the dangerous and daring plan goes awry and puts the couple in peril and makes them face how they feel for each other.

And a preview snippet…

Osana Wrang bumped into Calix Sentre when she rounded the corner to the undermage's chambers. "Um, sorry about that." She stepped back and smoothed her palm over her short cape. "Did your uncle summon you, also?" There could be no way Clemson Sentre found out about her recent liaison with Calix … right?
Not that it mattered. They didn't break any rules by sharing a bed … er … couch then a bed. But Clemson might not be thrilled his protégé nephew decided to hook up with her.
At least I'm his favorite student—and wrangler—ever.
Calix lifted his chin. "He did. Any clue what this is all about?" He propped a shoulder along the wall.
Osana shook her head. "Nope. You don't think he found out we're…" She trailed off because she had no idea how to refer to their new status.
Friends with benefits?
More than coworkers?
Rivals that smash on the downlow?
She pulled her thoughts in and met Calix's gaze. "Sorry. Never mind." What they called themselves didn't matter right now.
Calix's lips curved in a smirk. "No. I don't think. Wouldn't matter anyway. We're grown-ass adults and the two best dragon wranglers on his campus." Folding his arms over his chest, he grunted. "And we're at the top of the mage roster also. Having incredible sex doesn't change any of that." His eyebrow arched, daring her to counter his statement.
She couldn't because she got hung up on the incredible sex part. Because, yeah, no argument there. Which he'd know considering they'd been friends since entering the Silverwing Academy as students seven years ago. Even if their kinship made no sense. They approached everything from opposite ends. Calix slid into whatever he tackled with measured thought and astute reasoning. She jumped in feet first and slogged through whatever stood in her way.
Calix cleared his throat to get her attention. "Os? Am I wrong? Has everything changed?" A note of worry entered his voice.
She blinked. "What? No. Well, of course, it changes a little, but not the important stuff." She'd stab herself in the before she let that happen.
Calix pushed away from the wall. "Then let's see what the old man wants, yeah?"
She nodded. "Absolutely." Lifting her hand, she knocked on the heavy teak doors.

I just started this one and I'm already having so much fun writing this duo. Can't wait to see what happens next.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment