Sunday, October 11, 2026

Sunday Snippet: Truth Hurts

Heh, so far the bumps have not smoothed over in October. But … that could have more to do with the yucky cold I picked up from the husband. It's like I have fuzzy slippers in my head, and I'm not a fan.

Our tire trauma is still ongoing. I now have four tires paid for and the appointment is scheduled for this week. I still have to have my front and rear rotors and pads replaced as soon as possible also. That might end up being a November problem. I do want to get that managed before we start getting snow.

Still having fairly mild weather. I love having an actual fall. I'm hoping we're not having fake fall, and we'll end up with ninety degree days again. But won't be surprised if it happens.

Had a decent work week even with the cold. I'm moving slowly on the evaluation, but the book is pretty interesting. Finished up a copy edit and started a proofread. I'm hoping to finish the proofread later today. I also need to hit my backburner project that I keep putting on hold.

Had a sketchy viewing week. Between the cold and other things going on, I didn't quite make it through my usual line up. I did do a binge watch of Death in Paradise.

Started with Marple and thoroughly enjoyed the episode. Very fun to see the mystery unfold and watch Jane piece everything together. Fun watching experience.

Watched another episode of Britain's Most Scenic Counties. I'm enjoying Cheshire. There are a lot of interesting bits and bobs. While the white cliffs of Dover in Kent definitely draw attention, there seems to be more urban adventures in Cheshire.

Enjoyed an episode of Return to Paradise. I'm very much on the fence with Mac and Glenn's interactions. Watching her calm him down was a lot of fun. Knife-thick tension there. Also really enjoyed getting some insight to Colin's past in this one.

Caught another episode of Poirot and, wow, what an adventure. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing the band get back together. I've missed Hastings, Lemon, and Japp.

Elementary had a terrific episode. Glad to see Sherlock somewhat back to his old self. I loved how much confidence he has in Joan's ability to be a great parent. Also quite liked the interactions between Joan and the pregnant mom. What a great episode.

Started an episode of Young Justice but ran out of steam. I'll finish it up this week. I think I remember this one or at least parts of it.

That's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Truth Hurts, a novella that reunites a couple under terrible circumstances.

Here's the miniblurb:

Mardi Darr discovers her current lover is an enemy agent with an enchanted chip in his head. She gives the okay for a risky surgery, and it lands him in a submersion chamber with no brain activity. Heth Santiago is responsible for Mardi being with Staz and he needs to help Mardi accept the truth … even though it hurts like a bitch.

And a preview snippet…

After reuniting in the chapel, Heth agreed moving their liaison to her place made sense. They had a lot to discuss. And two more days of sex to make up for lost time didn't hurt either.
He tucked his arm around Mardi and spooned up against her. "You have a damn comfortable bed." Considering they'd done pretty much everything from there since they got here, probably a good thing.
Mardi stretched against Heth. "Do you really think this plan will work?" She said the words quietly.
Heth trailed his fingers down her arm. "How can they resist? You're walking into their realm and calling them out. They'll want to prove they can take you." And they needed to believe they could.
Mardi shifted around to face him. "But you're not going to let them." Her finger made a circular motion over his heart.
Heth shook his head. "Nope. Once we have you face-to-face with the leaders, we'll work our magick and put them in the same condition as Staz." Minus the enchanted chip, which they didn't need.
Mardi's eyes darkened. "Then we hit the underlings with the offer to talk access to alliance status." They wouldn't need to control her if they became full members.
Heth finished out the plan. "But only if they cease and desist with the attacks on mages and wizards." If the Street Hawks didn't agree … all their planning could blow up in their face.
Mardi held his gaze. "It could all go to hell." Her mouth flattened into a thin line.
Heth nodded. "Yeah, it could. And if that happens, we go out together." Because she wouldn't stand for being used against their community.
Mardi didn't blink. "Agreed." Her voice held stern conviction.
And he held no doubt they'd follow through. Neither had anything without the other. And they wouldn't give the Street Hawks the unlimited power they sought to gain through her.
She cupped his face. "I love you, Heth. Always."
He confirmed his feelings. "Always, Mardi. I love you." Leaning in, he slanted his mouth over hers.

This one is coming together nicely. Very happy with the plan Mardi and Heth put together.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment