Sunday, April 14, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Not Enough Hope

It's been a busy, busy week. I've got a new long-term project in a new to me genre and I’m excited to get started. Also finished up a couple of copy editing projects that were fun to work on.

About normal television viewing. I finished up the rewatch of Roswell, New Mexico. I'm serious when I say this show is kind of consuming me right now. Also caught the newest episode and it's everything I expected as to the reveal of the fourth alien but it also surpassed my expectations in so many ways. I don't know if there's going to be a triangle with Michael, Maria, and Alex but I actually like where things are right now. I'm not a huge fan of triangles but this has potential to be really interesting.

Caught another episode of Underbelly: Razor and really liked where things went. Wally leaving Kate came at just the right time and I'm interested to see how she fares without him. I'm also excited to see where Tillie and Nellie end up. Probably not in the best circumstances.

Watched two more episodes of Peter Gunn. This is such a great show for inspiration when I want to write something with a flair of noir. It's moody and stylish and the mix of grim and dark with humor is excellent.

Caught an episode of Strike Back and my heart goes out to Wyatt. At the same time, I'm totally down with Coltrane going rogue. It's such a section twenty thing to do. And the responses from the team? Perfect. I'm kind of hoping Katrina sees used-to-be Pavel as the evil force he is and switches allegiance again. We'll see what happens.

Watched another episode of Chicago Fire and loved how the group came together for Foster. Doctor Asshat definitely got the message. At least I hope he did.

Iron Fist had a great episode. I love watching Ward try to navigate through emotions. Joy, I'm not so sure about. I can't quite decide if I understand and sympathize where she's coming from or if I want to write her off the way I've written Trish off in Jessica Jones.

Caught an episode of Classic Roswell and Alex and Liz broke my heart all over again. I did love, love, love the way they took Topolski down though.

Watched an episode Murdoch Mysteries. The reporter lady drives me nuts but I loved how she handled getting William and Julie to recognize how much George contributed to their book. The murder case also entertained.

Caught the second episode of The Murders and I really like the partnership between Nolan and Kate. I want to know more about both characters.

I started Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries and I'm excited to see how this show stacks up to Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

That's pretty much it for TV this week. Tonight's post is from Not Enough Hope, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of writing a story that involves a lie and include a funeral.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Early Gibbons walks away from her position in the fae court—and Salem Powell—to forge her own path in the human realm. When she discovers a vengeance hound on her trail, she returns to the land of fae to find out who unleashed the beast, which may be tricky since Salem is the leader and she can't discount him as the culprit.

And a preview snippet…

Early's gut twisted. She deserved his scorn. Hell, she hadn't expected anything less. But, mage's blood, her timing couldn't suck worse. Arriving on the day he performed final rites on Glenda? The universe might be trying to tell her something. Too bad she didn't plan on listening.
She never did.
She'd walked away with no intention of ever coming back, but too many close calls forced her return. The only reason she could come up with for a hound chasing her had everything to do with home. Someone had cursed her and she had to find out who and why. Sadly, she couldn't rule out Salem. She wanted to, but he had some rage issues… not that she blamed him. She hated to think he might stoop to using a hound, but ten years had passed, so ruling it out… not yet.
She pushed for an answer. "Is your name at the top of the list, Salem?" Her eyes slid shut and she braced for his reply.
He didn't disappoint.
He made a low growling sound. "We're not doing this right now." He took the large ornamental spade and walked the perimeter of the pyre. "I'm laying Glenda to rest." He paused, pain marring his features. "You're intruding, which is what you do, but just once, you're going to respect the boundaries and leave." His head snapped up and he pinned her with his gaze. "Now."
Early dragged her lower lip between her teeth, biting back an urge to hurl a scathing comeback. She didn't want to encroach on his ceremony. She had no choice.
She blew out a long, cleansing breath. "I have nowhere to go, Salem."
He snorted. "Because you burned every bridge you could find on your way out." His shoulders slumped. "The Brackin house is empty. You can stay there tonight." He closed his eyes, effectively shutting her out.
Early took a moment, studying Salem, noting the changes a decade had wrought. Not many, but his face had filled out, softening the angular planes and valleys. Grief showed prominently through the tired lines around his eyes.
Early walked toward him, carefully staying clear of the burning flames.
Stopping next to him, she laid a palm on his forearm. "I'm sorry about Glenda." She squeezed lightly and moved forward, leaving him to mourn in solitude.

This one is coming along nicely. Early and Salem have some issues to work through and he is definitely not going to be an easy target.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment