Sunday, April 7, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Not Again

So… not a bad week overall. A little slower, which I truly appreciate. I did have a sick kid, but she's on the mend now. A quick trip to pick her up from work had to happen but otherwise, she's feeling much better.

Had some decent television viewing. Mainly some repeat watches of current favorite shows and catching up on a few marathons. I did catch a few new episodes also.

Chicago Fire had a terrific episode. I have to say I'm not a fan of the boys fighting amongst themselves. New guy breaking the ice is going to be one of my favorite bits from the series.

Watched Iron Fist and things are moving along. Nice to see a little progress with Ward but I have a dreadful feeling his trust will bite him on the ass. Thrilled to finally see what the hell is up with Mary and, boy, the reveal didn't disappoint. Looking forward to the next episode.

Caught another episode of Classic Roswell. I'd forgotten about the Native American angle. Looking forward to the next episode.

Also watched an episode of Murdoch Mysteries. I don't know if this is the last season, but they seem to be tying off a lot of loose ends. If it is… it's been a wonderful twelve years.

I started casually watching Blue Bloods. It's not really a show I want to add to my roster, but marathons are on every day and I've seen pretty much of the first five seasons. I'm now paying more attention and trying to catch up on season six and onward. I do love the family angle of this show.

Started a new Canadian show, The Murders, mainly because Dylan Bruce is one of the regulars. That said, I loved the first episode. I'm looking forward to more.

With no new episode of Roswell, New Mexico this week, I started another rewatch. This show… man, I can't get enough of it right now. I might have to start a recap series on my fandom blog. Stay tuned. I'll let everyone know if it happens.

That's pretty much my week in television. Tonight's post is from Not Again, a novella that started with a two-word prompt of "not again".

Here's the mini-blurb:

Drue Braddock and Xeno Howlett have a rocky relationship, but when Drue goes off on one of her many soul searching quests, Xeno decides he's had enough. When Drue returns, she finally knows what she wants—Xeno—but she may not get her chance because he's got someone new in his life.

And a preview snippet…

Drue sized up her new accommodations. "Temporary… so it'll do." The cheap rent sold her on the studio space, enhanced with an actual galley-style kitchen area and full bath.
She didn't need much and sure as hell didn't plan to be there very long.
Xeno would meet with her and listen to what she'd discovered. And he'd do it soon. If she had to tie him up to make it happen, she would.
Lydia Masters threw a bit of a twist into the mix. "What the hell, Xeno. Nothing like picking my polar opposite to hook up with." Her history with the woman probably made Lydia all the more appealing.
Dammit, Xeno.
Right. Couldn't really blame him. Not for everything. He'd put up with her crazy vision quest drama for five years. The one where she needed time and space and distance to figure out her role in life.
Dropping her bag on the floor, she made her way to the furnished sofa and dropped down on it. "Not my fault Xeno's too much of a distraction when the crystals start calling." Also not her fault they were deep in the realm and she always went to them.
Not his fault either.
But she did blame him for thinking she could pull the stones from their natural location. First, they'd lose their connection to the elements. Second, despite his assurances, the crystals wouldn't be safe. No matter how hard or how much Xeno tried to protect them, nothing would beat the realm's measures.
Her head hit the back of the cushions. "And Miss Lydia-Effing-Masters knows that." Part of their beef had everything to do with the fact Lydia couldn’t get her hands on the stones.
Unlike Drue, Lydia didn't have an affinity for shifting between the ether veils that separated the human world from the magickal.
Drue straightened, bringing her chin level again. "Boo-fucking-hoo and not my problem." Nope… her challenge grew exponentially with each passing moment she didn't have Xeno's ear.
Because the crystals had a lot to reveal and none of the portents boded well for the Xeno and the tribe elders.
She heaved a sigh. "And the whole damn mess landed in my lap."

Drue has her work cut out and Xeno isn't going to make anything easy for her. She'll get him to listen though and he's not going to like what he hears.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!


Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment