Sunday, May 5, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Nothing But the Truth


Well… May is starting out with a crazy-busy schedule. I've got two new projects underway along with my regular work. That said, I love being busy so I won't complain.

I got to spend time with two of my best friends from high school. It's so much fun to catch up with them and we're hoping to make this a several times a year thing. Good food and terrific wine… a fabulous way to spend an evening.

Had a semi-decent week of television viewing. I started out with an episode of Blade: The Series and discovered I'd missed this one. Glad I caught up with it… it had several good pieces of information in it.

I caught the penultimate episode of Strike Back and, wow, as usual, it delivered. Gotta say I'm sad we didn't get to see Coltrane in action between the sheets, especially considering we've seen almost everyone else.

Also watched another episode of Classic Roswell and it's another episode I thoroughly enjoyed but didn't quite remember fully. I love revisiting this series.

Caught another episode of Arrow and got to finally discover Oliver's newest family member. The hits really do keep coming for Oliver and I love to watch him react to each one. Also starting to enjoy the futurescape a lot. I'm going to miss this show so much when it ends after the next season. But I'll look forward to having a dark Gotham to visit if Batwoman gets a pickup.

Watched the penultimate—a frequent refrain this week—episode of Murdoch Mysteries. I have to admit I'm disappointed with a couple of things. Miss Hart's seeming underhandedness is a big one and I'm holding out hope it's smoke and mirrors on that end. And, seriously, the character assassination of John Brackenreid makes my head spin. I truly hope the finale swings the pendulum back to normal.

The Murders had a terrific fourth episode. I like the little bit of mystery surrounding Kate and I definitely like Nolan's slow spiral. It looks like the next episode starts to address his issues and I'm totally there for it.

Caught the… you guessed it… penultimate episode of Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries and, man, I loved it! This show is so. Much. Fun. Seriously, I'm crossing every appendage I have that there might be a second season.

Watched the first part of Chicago Fire's crossover with Chicago PD. Haven't watched the police episode yet but really wanted to watch Cruz go undercover. I'm not quite sure what to think about Grissom's about face with Severied. That might not go anywhere good. Just saying.

Caught episode seven of Iron Fist and actually enjoyed it a lot. I'm sad to view what's going on with Danny and Colleen but I also think it's an interesting wrinkle in their relationship. Davos, as usual, irritates the ever loving crap out of me. I'm totally hoping Joy is making a long play to get her hands on the bowl but won't hold my breath. As usual, Ward and Misty entertained just by being on screen. I'll miss not having new episodes after this season ends.

Watched an episode of Painkiller Jane and it's another one I didn't get to see on the first run of the series. Glad I caught it. I do like how Jane finally accepts being part of the team and starts to consider them family.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Nothing But the Truth, a novella that started with a writing community challenge of setting a story around the idea of telling nothing but the truth.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Lexa Chan and Quint Maximoff work the seedy underworld of supernatural bounty hunting. Lexa's got a tough as nails reputation and she competes with Quint's larger than life persona. The Halfway, a bar catering to supernatural and mortal beings, is neutral ground where Lexa and Quint form an interesting relationship.

And a preview snippet…

Lexa opened a can of worms. The evening could go to some dangerous places. Did she care? Not really. She lived in Recklessville. Okay, usually for work, but why not mix some spontaneity into her personal world? Right, maybe not the best idea—
"Seriously? Leave it at that? I don't think so, Lexa." He shifted, unable to hide the growing erection under his pants when he leaned forward to rest his elbows on his knees.
She sucked in a breath. "Truth, right?" She took his quirked brow as a yes and let the alcohol do the talking. "The picture I have of your hard cock is pretty vivid in my mind. So, yeah, it's distracting." She shouldn't have to explain the basics of sexual attraction.
Quint blinked and shook his head. "Fuck. You win. I didn't see this little twist coming at all." He leaned back, no longer attempting to keep the hard ridge of his dick out of sight.
Lexa barely hesitated before she got up and moved to straddle his lap. "If I'm the victor, shouldn't I get some kind of prize for my reward?" She scooched forward, grinding against his groin.
Quint cupped her ass with his hands. "What, exactly, will the claiming involve?" He held her gaze, no doubt seeking any form of retreat or regret.
Lexa answered quickly. "You, me, hot sex, now." She wanted him, if only for tonight within the four walls of this room.
Quint squeezed her butt cheeks. "And it stays here, yeah? We don't carry this out there." His head jerked toward the door and his hands came up to palm her breasts through her shirt.
Lexa nodded and removed her shirt. "Everything stays here. Consider this room sanctuary." She reached down and tugged his shirt up, craving skin-to-skin contact.
Quint dragged the garment over his head then leaned against the cushions. "Then stake your claim." He draped his arms along the back of the couch.
Her gaze feasted on his scarred torso, his battle wounds on display. They didn't detract from the defined cut of muscle covering his frame. Pecs, abs, dented hips. God, what a prime specimen.
And he wanted her to lay claim?
Oh, hell, yes.

Lexa will definitely enjoy the sanctuary but she might not be the only one staking a claim.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment