Sunday, May 10, 2020

Sunday Snippet: That Explains Everything


May 10, 2020

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. I'm having a low-key day, which is kind of nice. The past week has been crazy with weird weather—we had snow yesterday … in May—and a lot of uncertainty about how safe it is to start getting back out there and mixing with people.

Had a semi-decent week of television viewing. I'm finally caught up on the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover and, yeah, I'll save my thoughts on it for last.

Otherwise, I caught a few more episodes of Danger Man. Again, these were two I don't remember in my first run through of the episodes. I really love this classic.

Speaking of classics. I finished up the third doctor's run in Classic Who. I thoroughly enjoyed Jon Pertwee's portrayal. Up next, is the fourth doctor and I'm ready to dive in.

Caught another episode of The Heart Guy and liked it. I have to say it's kind of odd how much I like Hugh because he really is a bit of a dick. But there's a good heart, pardon the pun, under his arrogance and immaturity. I actually had a moment of intense dislike for his boss when she spent the money he cajoled out of Nathan for an MRI on regular supplies. The jury is still out on that situation. I think it was a major smack and her level of smugness irritates me on the regular. Then again, she's dealing with Hugh so there's that. My last thought on the show for this week is really hoping the sister-in-law doesn't do anything stupid like hook up with Hugh again. I don't hold out much hope because that's a hard trope to ignore and the messy fallout is hard to resist.

Also caught the opener of season two Peak Practice. I kind of like where Will is right now. I'm a little weirded out by the whole trying to pray a daughter's asthma away plot line but overall a good episode.

I got to watch another Cirque du Soliel performance with Zed. This one ended up being the whole show from start to finish and, wow, what a show. I'm going to try to catch it again later this week. There's always so much going on I miss stuff.

Started episode three of Picard but CBS All Access is crap for streaming at my house. I have no idea why, but I literally struggle to get episodes watched. Very frustrating.

Last but not least … Crises on Infinite Earths. I give the whole thing a ten out of ten. Backtracking a little, losing Oliver in the opening episode? Bold choice. I can honestly say, I loved everything about the Supergirl portion of the crossover even if it broke my brain.

Following up with Batwoman, what a kick-ass episode. I loved the additional cameos and throwbacks and mash-ups. Having Kevin Conroy as a live-action Batman, albeit a broken one, rocked. Anyone who's a huge fan (um … definitely me) of Batman the Animated Series should have enjoyed the voice actor in this role. I liked the bonding Kate and Kara did too.

Moving on to The Flash, again, thoroughly enjoyed the episode even if, by this point, I decided to have a full box of tissues next to me. I think because I knew what to expect everything hit harder emotionally. I loved the way they brought the Black Lightning 'verse into the fold; a solid choice with Barry and Jefferson bonding over shared circumstances.

The Arrow episode almost did me in. I won't lie. I spent most of it in tears. And they were actually good tears even if I ended up ugly crying for a lot of it. Part of the reason is because Arrow is the first, the show that launched it all and the one I've followed from the very beginning to the very end. I've caught the others, watched a good bit of The Flash and Legends, a little of Supergirl and a smattering of Batwoman, but Arrow is my Arrowverse show. I'm truly, completely in awe of Stephen's performance not only in the crossover but also over the eighth season so far. There's a lot of nuance to his acting and I'm impressed.

The falling action in Legends of Tomorrow didn't stop the flow of tears but the much needed lightness interspersed with the final battle ended up being a good mix. By the time they held the memorial I was literally laughing while sobbing. Not a good look for me but for the crossover an excellent ending. Seeds have been planted and it'll be fun to see how everything shakes out. I'm actually excited by the Earth Prime concept and I loved the voiceover from Oliver kind of laying the groundwork. By the time Barry unveiled the table and with it the hint of a Justice League story I was raring and ready for another crossover. Even if it'll be super weird without Oliver.

So … those are my random thoughts on what ended up being an emotional week of television viewing.

Tonight's post is from That Explains Everything, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tasha Yale wants Brax Vermillion, but can't seem to break her connection to Staz Yarrow—until she's taken by Lanai Conns. Finally aware of the nefarious machinations, Tasha fights to get back to her clan and Brax … before it's too late.

And a preview snippet…

Tasha sent Brax a smile when she closed the door and toed her shoes off. "Hi, Brax." Her gaze scanned the room, the sense of coming home filling her mind with calm.
Or maybe the man had that effect on her. She never got the unsettled and conflicted feeling with Brax. His presence had always been steady and true. Probably always would be.
Brax rose and invited her to sit by the fire. "Come on over. It got chilly out there today." He settled back and waited for her to take a spot on the sofa. "How are the orders going? Are you keeping up?" He propped his feet on the coffee table.
Tasha curled her legs up and got comfortable. "For the most part. I'm behind on the scented jars, but I've got stock left for now." She'd try to work some of those in before Staz returned.
Brax quirked a brow. "Have you thought anymore about letting me design a website and online store for you?"
She hedged a little. "I have. I'm not quite ready yet. Staz doesn't want me to set up shop in my shed and he doesn't think I can up with rent in a commercial building." Why he kept putting her off the idea, she had yet to figure out.
Brax frowned. "If you joined the co-op, rent wouldn't be an issue. You'd trade a percentage of your take-in and something suited to your skill set with maintenance. Does he understand how the shops in town work?" His tone implied only a dumbass wouldn't.
And he'd be right. Staz didn't lack understanding. He lacked the desire to have her split time between home and work.
Tasha shrugged. "He gets it. But said I'd have to spend more time making extra product to offset the cost of doing business." But if her business increased from having the exposure, there wouldn't be a loss.
Brax closed his eyes and exhaled slowly. "Okay. What's the objection to an online store?" A valid question with a similar answer to the previous one.
Tasha sighed. "I'd have to store the candles somewhere, which means either renting space or using the shed. Staz doesn't want a delivery carrier stopping by every day to take shipments and he doesn't want a bunch of boxes and packing supplies cluttering up the house or shed." Which didn't make a lot of sense, but she got tired of arguing about it.
Brax shook his head. "You know how I feel about the limitations he puts on you. You're the one footing most of your bills. He shouldn't have a say when it comes to your livelihood. Or at least he should understand a little more." His face set in a hard profile.
Tasha didn't want to ruin the conversation with more Staz talk. "Random subject change … I made progress with my spellwork. If I can refine the cast, I can create candles that enhance or dampen a specific mood. That could open the door to adding in a healing angle with my work." She had a goal of adding elemental healing products to her current inventory.
Brax's eyes widened. "I thought—" He broke off, no doubt getting ready to bring Staz back into the discussion.
Staz didn't like her to practice spellwork or use magick.
Brax started over. "Tell me more." He shuffled his feet off the table and turned to face her, tucking one leg under his thigh.
She grinned. "Well … here's what I started with…"

This story is growing into something a little more than I originally planned and I'm excited by the idea.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment