Sunday, May 24, 2020

Sunday Snippet: This Is Your Life


May 24, 2020

Another crazy weather week in Ohio. Warm, chilly, cold, hot. Seriously, I'm not putting anything seasonal away this year … just in case.

Not a bad week of television viewing. I'm almost finished with the Blue Heelers episode I started last week. I like this one. It's got some twisty turns in it.

Watched the Thanksgiving episode of Riverdale and got just a wee bit misty eyed by the end. Anything to do with Fred and his presence on the show makes me happy though. The dinner from hell Cheryl and company hosted will go down as the most creeptastic but ultimately hysterical I've ever watched on television. Betty and Jughead's Charlie Brown Thanksgiving entertained me even if the cat and mouse with Brett and Donna didn't really shed much light on the situation at the prep school. I spent another episode wishing for Hiram to join Cheryl's family in whatever circle of hell will provide the most torture. I seriously hate the character. Time will tell if I can stomach next season with him in it or not. Chances are … not. Which is unfortunate.

Caught three more episodes of Danger Man. I needed a good background noise show and this one works well. I had several graphic images I needed to work on and it's nice to take a small break when needed and watch the action.

Started an episode of Roswell, New Mexico. This is a show where I enjoy the cat and mouse going on. I'm to the point where Maria discovered Rosa and thinks she's completely lost her mind. Really happy to see Cameron back and I hope she's not going to be some kind of double agent working the alien camp for intel to give to Papa Main. I'll be a little pissed if that's the case. Alex might have bitten off more than he can chew regarding his dad. I'll get more into my thoughts on Isabel next week. I kind of miss Kyle and hope he makes an appearance or has screen time in the next episode.

I also began something a little new but also very old. Listening to soundtracks while I work. Bear McCreary's music is awesome to have playing while writing or editing. I blew through the second and third season soundtracks for Battlestar Galactica this week.

Last, but not least, I finished up the Strike Back episode from last week. I had a feeling while writing my reaction in the last post of what would come but didn't want to dive too deeply into it because it hadn't happened yet. Yes, I'm being cryptic but I don't want to spoil anyone … and maybe I'm not quite ready to face the reality of being one character down. All I can say is stellar acting by every single character. Seriously.

The Strike Back: Declassified episode ended up being funny and poignant. Getting the reactions from the actors and hearing how they prepared ended up being a soothing balm after the gut-wrenching episode. Kudos to shows who do the behind the scenes interviews. I really miss that with Roswell, New Mexico this season.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from This Is Your Life, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

After a harrowing month of captivity in a rival faction's territory, Welch Harrinson can't seem to find his will to keep living. Rina Lewes devises a perfect way to remind Welch why life can be good.

And a preview snippet…

Welch woke up slowly, blinking against the early morning sun. "Where am I?" Definitely not in the dingy brick building he'd called home for … however long he'd been there.
The image of the warehouse went fuzzy and the length of time grew just out of reach.
He sat up, glancing around. "Nice place." Warm colors bathed the room, a stark contrast to the grimy gray and burnt red brick that nudged around in the back of his mind.
A low throb started in his temples and he rubbed the area with both hands.
Why does my head hurt so much?
The twist of the doorknob had him warily eyeing the door.
A woman entered the room, carrying a mug and plate. Welch eyed her up and down. Pretty. Long hair pulled up in a haphazard bun, loose-fitting clothes on a muscular body, and an almost feline grace to her step. Who is she?
The lady gave him a tired smile. "I didn't know when you'd wake up." She glanced at the items in her hands. "I have herbal tea and a bagel with peanut butter along with some scrambled eggs." She tilted her head to one side. "Are you hungry?"
His stomach growled and he nodded. "Apparently so." He straightened, reaching back to prop up a pillow. "But first … who are you? Why am I here?" Trusting the food and drink might not be a great idea until he had some answers.
The woman's shoulders slumped a little, but she squared them and continued toward the bed. "Before I answer, do you know who you are?" Placing the tea and food on the nightstand, she stepped back to give him some space.
Welch frowned. "Of course I know who I am. Welch Harrinson." He opened his mouth to say more but hit a wall.
He had no idea what he did for a living. Or where he lived. Or if he had any family.
He only knew his name and that he'd been locked away in that damn warehouse for a long freaking time.
A surge of anger rushed up this throat. "Are you the good cop version of my kidnappers?" He had to have been abducted, nothing else made sense. "Do the change of scenery and throw in a pretty face to break me down even more?" Oddly, he couldn't remember anyone's description, only the sound of voices chanting and magick swirling all around him.
The urge to flee almost overwhelmed him and he started to fling the sheet off only to realize he had nothing on. Completely naked, he snarled and shot the woman an angry glare. Whipping the covering back over his legs, he hissed out a frustrated breath.
The woman sighed and settled into the chair between the nightstand and the wall. "I'm not working with the people who abducted you. I'm the one who found you and brought you ho—" She stopped, took a breath then continued. "Here. I'm Rina. And before you ask, your clothes are being cleansed. They were riddled with hex magick." She leaned forward a little. "You don't remember me, right? You didn't last night anyway."
Welch shook his head. "I have no idea who the hell you are, but I guess you have my thanks if you actually did rescue me." He didn't trust her words, but his instincts said she didn't mean him harm.
Rina's lips curved but the smile didn't reach her eyes. "It took a full month and for that I'm sorry." She grew silent and turned her gaze to the window.
Welch's stomach growled again and he picked up the plate. "So, what is this place?" He nibbled the bagel then took a big bite—apparently he liked peanut butter.
Rina turned her attention back to him. "It's your, er, my home." She settled back against the chair. "I'll answer as many questions as I can, but we have to be cautious. You've been through a magickal trial and I've asked someone to come and evaluate your condition."
Welch paused as he reached for the tea. "You called a doctor?" His stomach roiled but damned if he had a clue why.
Rina shook her head. "Not a doctor, no. And if you're at all uncomfortable during the process, say the word and we'll figure something else out."
A buzz sounded and Welch tensed. "Not sure I want to be poked and prodded, even if it's not a doctor."
Rina rose, nodding toward the dresser. "You can finish eating and change into the clothes over there." She started toward the door. "There won't be much in the way of poking and prodding, more a thorough examination of the magick and hopefully a resolution to your memory loss." Her head angled around. "You don't have to trust me, but I hope you'll at least give this a try."
Unable to do much else, he shrugged. "For now, I can't think of another option." He drained half the mug of tea. "Should I meet you out there when I'm ready?"
Rina gave him a brief smile. "Sure. Take your time. There's no rush." She exited the room, closing the door behind her.
Welch exhaled on a long breath. Nothing made sense. The brief flashes of anger and the sick ball of dread that expanded and contracted in his gut made him wary of everything. But … this place, Rina's home, definitely proved to be a huge step up from the shitty confines he'd been in.
He took another bite of the bagel. "Let's hope it's not an exchange from one prison to another."
He'd find out soon enough.

I love the twists this story is taking. Rina's got her work cut out for her and Welch's struggle is a challenge I'm enjoying.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment