Sunday, May 31, 2020

Sunday Snippet: A Thousand Reasons

I'm a little surprised May is at an end and I shouldn't be. Then again, I spent the entire week getting days mixed up so there's that.

Pretty decent week of television viewing. I started out by finishing the Roswell, New Mexico episode and, frankly, loved it. I like that Maria didn't let Liz off the hook. I'm so glad she knows what's going on now. I also hope she gets over the betrayal and becomes an ally for the alien side. I'm very cautious about Cameron's appearance. Something tells me she's going to be doing a lot of backstabbing but for a good reason. I don't for a moment believe Jesse is as bad off as he makes out to be and we'll be seeing his evil ways rear their ugly heads again. And, finally, Isabel. What a terrific episode for her. I enjoyed the way her connection to Max was explored and explained. I'll look forward to more of this type of storyline for her.

On a fun note, I got to watch my daughter's graduation via YouTube. I can honestly say it was rather nice to sit in a cool house to see her get her diploma rather than sitting in a hot stadium. The circumstances might not have been ideal, but the school put a ton of effort into making the graduation special and I appreciate their work.

I started an episode of The Heart Guy and, well, didn't finish it. The show isn't grabbing me the way I'd hoped. I'll probably come back to it later.

Also caught another episode of Peak Practice and enjoyed it. For a show that's well over twenty years old, some of the storylines are very relevant to today's circumstances.

Caught the beginning arc of the fourth doctor on Classic Who. Four has a long, long run for the show and I'm excited to get started on his tenure.

Watched one episode of Gargoyles and it's another one I didn't remember from my initial viewing. Pretty decent episode with some cat and mouse maneuvers.

Was able to get in another episode of Strike Back and quite enjoyed it. The team now knows what's going on with the blood vendetta and I'm excited for the final three episodes. Can't wait to see how the series ends. The declassified behind the scenes also ended up being really enjoyable.

Caught another episode of The Witcher and I'm getting sucked deeper into the mythology of the show. I thoroughly enjoyed all three storylines, two of which converged together in this episode. I'm interested to see what happens next.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. I'll be starting a new Passionflix movie sometime later tonight and look forward to seeing the first part of Gabriel's Inferno.

Tonight's post is from A Thousand Reasons, a sexy short that started with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Dix Benson wants life to finally settle down after he passes the advocacy exam. But when Willow Gold decides to accept a job flying missions in a very hot zone, he can think of at least a thousand reasons it's a very bad idea. Convincing Willow will be the challenge.

And a preview snippet…

Willow Gold signed the contract and thrust her hand forward. "Thank you for this opportunity. I can't wait to get started." She firmly grasped her new boss's palm.

Maxon Barnes gave her a wide grin. "Welcome to the team. You're bringing a lot to the table. We're lucky to have you." He walked her to the door and out into the empty reception area.

Willow waved and made her way to the front entrance. Exiting out into the early evening light, she barely contained her excitement. She'd be dropping into meta-human hot spots and helping to bring them out or protecting them from the locals. The latest wave of enhanced people had the general population in an uproar and reaction had taken a nasty turn.

Willow shook her head. "Good thing Dix is going to be a powerful advocate for them." She had no doubt they'd be celebrating his successful completion of the difficult exam to become a member of the council association.

Being an advocate meant Dix would be part legal eagle, part social worker. And he'd be damned good at both. He had a stake in how meta-humans were treated. Hell, they both did. Neither had great power, but Dix could read people and pick up on their thoughts and feelings and Willow had extrasensory capabilities, kind of like having her five senses on steroids.

She grinned. "Which will be very handy in my new job." The smile faded while she pulled out into the post-rush-hour traffic.

A little edgy, she made a quick pit-stop at a local Gengi house to grab some takeout. Part congratulatory celebration—she had no doubt Dix passed his exam—and part peace offering—she neglected to inform him of her work opportunity, the food haul tantalized her nose and taste buds. Willow pushed a kick of guilt down. Dix had too much on his mind in the lead-up to the final testing. She refused to distract him from his preparation.

But she'd needed something new. She enjoyed her consulting gig with the ministry of meta-affairs but the itch to work directly with people that were only just discovering their power burned in her brain. Getting to them from the outset, helping them get a grip on their new skills, and protecting them from frightened outliers until they could be relocated or handle their ability safely meant the world to Willow.

And Dix is gonna hate it.

Pulling into the garage behind their building, she cut the engine. "I should've told him." Given him time to get used to the idea.

A thousand reasons why she'd kept information to herself tumbled through her mind.

Not stealing his thunder topped the list. But a close second rolled up and stood out. They'd worked long and hard to get where they were—comfortable in a relationship—and this would rock the boat. Possibly even capsize it.

Shoving the thought aside, she grabbed the food and headed inside.

"We'll be fine."

I originally thought this one would be a sci-fi romance, but it keeps wanting to go in a paranormal direction. I finally caved and made some changes.

 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye


No comments:

Post a Comment