Sunday, May 3, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Shaken Alliances (A Technorati novella)


Well, May is starting out fairly chilly and gloomy in my part of the country. It's been quite a while since we've had true spring weather and we're definitely getting it so far. I'm hoping it doesn't rain on the weekend my youngest gets to have her drive-up graduation. We're still not risking anyone's health by having a full-blown commencement ceremony.

Slower than usual week in television. I finally got to finish Picard and Strike Back; also got Strike Back Declassified in. I love those behind the scenes moments and interviews.

Finished up a four-part arc on Gargoyles, watching the last two episodes this week. It's weird how the voice actors are enemies on this show and their characters are allies on Star Trek TNG.

Watched another episode of The Witcher. This show has me very intrigued. Definitely glad there will be another season. At least I think there will be.

Caught several episodes of Danger Man, most being ones I didn't remember. I might have to rewatch The Prisoner when I'm done with this series.

Watched the first episode of Crisis on Infinite Earths with the Supergirl episode. I'll do more this week but I needed a moment to wrap my head around this one. I loved the cameo appearances and look forward to more of those but I'm already crushed by the events in this opening episode. Good stuff. That's all I'm saying.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Shaken Alliances, a Technorati novella.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Janna Allgood, a corporal in the Alliance, is the best at what she does, bringing Technorati deceivers to justice. But when she's assigned the task of tracking down the notorious leader of the rogue technomancers, she discovers a new calling, one that puts her life in danger because it may bring down the Alliance she works for.

And a preview snippet…

Rennick chuckled. "My dear boy, you have yet to meet her. You'll no more be able to keep your distance than she'll be able to resist you."
Pax frowned. "Speak plainly. You want us together?" He didn't want to get emotionally entangled.
Rennick chose his words carefully. "Do I want it? Nothing would please me more than my two closest protégés finding happiness with each other. But it goes deeper than that, my boy. You'll need each other. If you want to free the Technorati."
Understanding dawned in Pax's mind. "She's the Key." Great balls. The one variable the Technorati had been seeking for decades.
Rennick hedged. "I can't be completely certain. Not yet. But her bloodline is pure and goes back to the beginning."
Pax had a gut clenching moment of clarity. Janna Allgood would prove to be the Key and Master Rennick had set it up so Pax would be the catalyst for bringing her to the forefront of their movement.
"You're a crafty old man."
The wise one didn't deny the statement. But he didn't have a reply either.
Pax pushed a little. "If there's any possibility of her being the key, I have to request some guidance. A wrong move could cause irreparable harm." He might have a reputation for stopping at nothing to gain freedom for his people, but he would not stoop to damaging a psyche with the kind of power the Key would hold.
Rennick infused his tone with calm. "She's protected but you do have to move with caution. Once she accepts the truth about the Alliance, she'll be open. At least that's my hope."
Pax settled down, letting the master's wisdom guide his questions. "How much does Janna know about the old ways and legends?" If she had no knowledge, his job would be easier for both.
Rennick shared what he'd gleaned. "Her mind has blocked and closed everything out for now. But … she's ripe for tutelage. She's keenly curious when something interests her." He paused a moment before continuing. "You'd be wise to move slowly and let Janna discover and accept her destiny in stages." A wry twist inserted itself into his voice.
Pax closed his eyes. "I'll do my best, as I've always said." The monumental challenge would try Pax's patience, but if Janna acted as the Key, he'd wait it all out.
Rennick's presence started to fade from Pax's mind. "I'll help as much as I can along the way." A vivid image embedded on his departure…
Janna Allgood would not arrive in her dull Alliance uniform. Instead, she'd be wearing siren-red leather pants, black boots, and a dark skintight vest. In short, dressed to rock his world.
He didn't want to lay odds she might just succeed.

I'm still finding my way with this story. The overall arc is pretty much set but bits and pieces keep popping in and demanding attention.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment