Sunday, October 18, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Xtreme Attraction

Wow, how can half the month be over already? Time either seems to fly by at the rate of insanity yet it often feels like it an entire decade exists within a twenty-four hour period. It's trippy.

Had a bunch of projects land in my inbox this week so television ended up being on the short end. I finished up a Blue Heelers episode and have another one ready to go.

Also made it through two-thirds of Silent Witness's fifth season. Two interesting cases. Looking forward to finishing up the last two episodes.

I watched a lot of the morning mysteries on Ovation again. I enjoy having those shows on in the background, especially when I’m shredding a ton of old paper files.

Looking forward to hopefully finishing up Picard and catching up on Riverdale and Roswell, New Mexico. As I mentioned, this is probably my last season of Riverdale. I literally can't stomach Hiram and I’m pretty sure he won't be going anywhere when the new season premieres.

That's the short list for television this week. Tonight's post is from Xtreme Attraction, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt. This is book one in the Xtreme Justice series.

Here's the mini-blurb:

The double X gene found in junk DNA makes life very interesting for a group of humans. Nyx Boit reshapes matter with her force of will. Cythe Baldetto literally has blades of steel at his fingertips. When Cythe is sent to recruit Nyx, she wants no part of his offer. To make her point, she converts his arrows, darts, and knives into liquid pools at his feet. Finally meeting his match, Cythe figures recruiting Nyx is out, but wooing her is most definitely in.

And a preview snippet…

Nyx tilted her head to one side. "Why are you helping me?"

Cythe scooped out two platefuls of food. "Two reasons. I've been where you are." He slid one dish in front of her. "And I'm still really attracted to you."

And I'm attracted to him. Why fight it? She leaned across the counter and kissed him. She had a strong reaction. Lust thrummed through her veins and her body tingled everywhere. The kiss spun out of control and Nyx needed more, needed all of him. Right now.

She all but tried to climb all over him, scooting over the counter, scooting the plates out of the way. Cythe pushed her away. Hard. If he'd slapped her in the face, she might be less pissed off. Who the hell does he think he is?

Cythe swiped his thumb over his lower lip. "You're pissed off and so hot for me you can't stand it, right?"

She opened her mouth to snap his head off then blinked. He'd nailed her reaction exactly. She craved him, desperately. Her fingers itched to touch him and smooth over his skin.

She nodded. "Yeah. What the hell?" She'd never been so hot for a man so quickly.

He scooted the plates back and made a noticeable effort to calm his breathing and body.

When he'd gained control of both, he sat on the stool across from her. "You're reacting to my mating pheromones." Glancing away, he took a bite of his meal. "You can't be certain you truly want me." He met her stare again.

She sat back down and picked up her chopsticks. "I can be pretty damned clear I found you more than a little hot from the moment we met." She slurped the food from the utensils.

He had a quirky little smile play over his lips. "Good to know it was a mutual thing. But ... if I didn't stop you—and it took an iron will of control, believe me—I would have made you mine."

She tilted her head. How could that be a bad thing?" The self-discipline impressed her though. She narrowed her gaze. "What aren't you telling me?"

He chewed his food a moment. "If we continue, the pull will only get stronger."

She didn't see a problem. "Meaning what?" Why did it matter?

He sighed. "You're attracted to me now, but you'd become dependent on me physically, almost like a craving."

The light bulb went off. Holy shit. Now she completely understood.

He shook his head. "It's not fair to you unless you're certain—absolutely certain." He pinned her with his gaze for a long moment.

Nyx finished off her food, pondering everything he'd said.

She placed her chopstick on the plate. "Is there a downside for you?" There had to be, right?

He hesitated.

Nyx held up a hand. "I want full disclosure. If you can be hurt, I have to know."

He filled in the blanks. "The downside is ... once the full mating process is complete, if you ever decide to leave me, I'll die. Or at least it's a strong possibility."

Well, fuck.

She tried to wrap her head around the idea. "What if I die or get killed?"

He rolled a shoulder.  "That's my one way out … if the mental bond is severed upon your death."

She snorted. "So, basically, you could kill me if you ever decide you're tired of me." Talk about potential for a bad breakup.

I'm having a lot of fun with this series. Nyx and Cythe have a good vibe that I enjoy writing.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment