Sunday, October 25, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Xtreme Vibrations

Well, we're almost to the end of another month and I'm trying to contemplate what the final two months of 2020 are going to be like. Frankly, I can't do it. LOL And we still have a full moon to get through in October.

Had a slower than normal week for television. I'm honestly not in the mood to watch much and have been catching marathons on regular cable for the most part. Hallmark started their holiday fare and one of the books I copy edited is featured as a new movie this year. Last year, another book I copy edited had a premiere. That's always so exciting!

I did catch an episode or two of Silent Witness, but other than that, I mainly watch Ovation. I'm crossing my fingers they don't have a major programming change anytime soon. That happens so frequently for me. I fall in love with the line-up and all of a sudden, some new honcho comes in and effs it all up. I'm looking at you HGTV, SyFy, and BBC America. Or, I lose access to a channel that usually has classic stuff I really enjoy. Sigh.

Tonight's post is from Xtreme Vibrations, a novella in the Xtreme Justice series.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Cythe and Nyx have one solid ally in their life—Stanja Davidich. When a former mentor kidnaps Stanja to use her vibrating power to wreak havoc on the high seas, Cythe and Nyx go against orders to rescue Stanja. But during the attempt, Nyx falls into a trap and Cythe races the clock to get the women in his life back before he dies from being separated from Nyx.

And a preview snippet…

Stanja Davidich entered her townhouse and tossed her keys on the table. She froze; her fingers flexing, ready to unleash her power. Someone lurked in the shadows.

"Hello, Stanja."

Her eyes slid shut. Fuck. Why couldn't it be anyone but him?

She didn't speak but turned slowly toward the corner where the voice came from. Staying silent, she waited. Engaging first would show weakness and she refused to ever willingly hand over whatever slim advantage she had.

"It's been a minute." The sarcasm lashed out like a coil, striking hard and deep.

Closer to a decade. Eight and a half years, to be accurate. And she didn't miss the roller coaster ride one damn bit.

At least she'd repeated the idea over and over as often as necessary.

He emerged into the light spilling in from outside. "Come on, Stanja. You had to know this day would come."

She schooled her features but got a kick in the gut. He looked damned good. Then again, he always had. Too much so.

He circled around her then moved to stand toe to toe, his hot breath fanning her face.

She held his gaze, keeping hers as steady as possible. "I rather hoped not." She could have cheerfully lived without ever laying eyes on him again.

He smirked. "There she is. The icy queen of understatement." He leaned in close. "But I know how hot the woman underneath runs, don't I?"

He used to. Once upon a time. Back before he turned his back on UNIT to seek his fortune elsewhere.

She'd moved on. And while she'd never forgotten him—it would be too dangerous to do so—she'd stuffed their past in a dark, out-of-the-way place in the back of her mind. To have him come back now … dammit, his presence didn't bode well for her.

His lips twisted into a sneer. "I've come to collect, Stanja, on the favor you owe…"

Right. More like a debt from a long ago saga that didn't end well for either of them.

She opened her mouth to reject the idea but he pushed his finger against her lips.

"No doubt you want to refuse, but I won't let you. I planned for this." He snapped his fingers and she dropped like a stone.

He caught her under the arms and dragged her to the back entrance. She hated him and his ability to render people immobile, or unconscious, or even fully comatose. Of course, he'd want her awake but compliant. He wanted her to experience every bit of humiliation he could dish out.

But she figured this day would come. She had his number the same way he had hers. Had intimate knowledge of the way his mind worked.

And she'd prepared. Carefully and quietly. Within twenty-four hours, the news of her disappearance would make its way to UNIT. Twelve hours after that, the only two people she trusted in the world would hold her life in their hands.

Don't let me down, Cythe. You and Nyx are all that stands between my past and my future.

I'm falling in love with this series. I'm so happy with how the opening scene of book three came together. This is such a fun series to write.

That's it for this week.


 

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment