Sunday, January 31, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Broken Down and Maxed Out

With January coming to a close, the first month of the year is in the books. Oddly, I have a good feeling about 2021. I hope I'm right and the year is terrific for everyone.

Ended up with a full slate of work projects this week and I welcomed them with open arms. But they kept me pretty busy so I didn't get a lot of television watched.

I did finish up the second part of the racing episode of Silent Witness. Ended up being very twisty and turny.

I caught a full arc of Classic Who and I'm about halfway through the thirteenth series. I think I like the previous season better than this one so far.

Started a new Queens of Mystery episode and I'm still enjoying this series. I hope they end up doing another one. It's a lot of fun.

As always, I caught the usual mysteries on Ovation and some additional classic episodes of Perry Mason.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Broken Down and Maxed Out, a novella with characters trying to prop each other up and not always succeeding.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Dallas Kirk and Rafe Quinoza, two top agents in the Ministry of Magickal Defense, are broken down and maxed out they turn to each other to regroup and recharge. But when they reach their saturation point at the same time, they struggle to keep their connection strong, which is difficult when they blame themselves for a mission gone wrong.

And a preview snippet…

Rafe woke up to an empty bed. "It's good to be home." The memory of the previous night replayed in his mind.

Damn. Good thing Dallas got there when she did. Not that he'd been much help.

He sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the mattress. No lingering effects. For him. He didn't know about Dallas.

He rose and found Dallas watching the sun rise. He went out to the small balcony and wrapped his arms around her. She leaned against him.

But she kept her eyes forward. "Who knew?" She finally angled her head around, her gaze a little dark and stormy. "Who knew where you'd be and why?" She voiced the question quietly but anger tinged her tone.

He pondered a moment. "Three people. You, Gibbon, and his aide. That I know of." He shrugged. "It could be more." He eased away from her and tugged her back inside their room. "You know Gibbon gets chatty sometimes." Especially when he issued the orders.

She quirked an eyebrow. "You didn't tell Adam?" Her voice held surprise more than censure.

Rafe pushed back a little. "You think I should have?" He'd thought about it, but Adam had a lot on his plate right now.

Dallas gave him a pointed look. "Didn't say that. Just trying to figure out the pieces and where they go." She perched on the edge of the bed.

Rafe shook his head. "Adam didn't make the request for the surveillance detail. But once I get an assignment, Gibbon usually lets Adam know—if he feels it's necessary." He sat down beside her. "Or Adam reads about it afterward in the report." He cocked his head. "It's not like you don't know standard operating procedure. What's going on?" She had a reason for poking around that had nothing to do with which piece went where.

I had this story all plotted out and the sages decided to throw me a curve … which ended up being really good.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment