Sunday, January 10, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Blurred Lines

Well, it's definitely been an interesting beginning to the new year. At this point, I'm coasting through and taking happy moments when I can. Blogging is a happy moment for me.

Had a couple of work projects I needed to finish up and started a new one. I didn't have a lot of time for television but I did get a few things watched.

I watched a little more of Gabriel's Inferno and hope to finish it up sometime this week.

Also watched the next two installments of Queens of Mystery. I finished the second part of the first episode and started the first part of the second installment. I rather like this show.

Other than that, I watched most of an episode of Blue Heelers and caught my usual mysteries on Ovation. I'm a little bummed they've changed their line-up, but that always happens. I get used to and love having my shows on at a certain time and the network has to change things up. Ah, well.

Tonight's post is from Blurred Lines, a novella that mixes a little urban fantasy with a fight-club style reunion between the characters.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Becca and York. Finding their way back to each other is the ultimate achievement. Working out how they'll function together is the challenge. The lines are all blurry because they've crossed back and forth so many times.

And a preview snippet…

The second bell roused York from his sated slumber. He turned, his hand hitting the cool sheets. Coming fully awake, he blinked the sleep from his eyes and looked around the room. "Becs?"

Nothing. Utter silence greeted his call. Realization set in and York thought he might heave, sickened because he'd believed they had a chance.

He should have known better. Becca always ran.

How could he have been so stupid? Collapsing back against the bed, he grabbed a pillow and hurled it across the room. "Fuck!"

Wait. Maybe she didn't run. She could've headed to the arena to get an early workout in. He centered his butt in the middle of the bed and focused, reaching out to the council head.

"Good morning, York. I assume you've heard the news." He didn't elaborate.

York fought the sinking lead-ball swirling in his gut. "What news? I reached out to see if Becca arrived for a workout."

The council head responded quickly. "She came in, but only stayed long enough to exercise the out clause in her contract. She's leaving to join the Marauders in Capesville." He paused a moment. "I apologize. I wrongfully concluded her next stop would be to let you know."

York barely held on to the connection thread, the anger, disappointment, and … well, embarrassment churned in his brain. Of course she didn't inform him. So not her style.

York swallowed the bitter bile rising in his throat. "Uh, no. I had no idea about any of this. I'll be in within an hour to work with whoever you decide to put in her spot."

The council head took a long moment before offering a reply. "Are you certain? We can take up to a week to make a decision. Your input should be considered."

York held back a derisive snort. "My input is I'll be happy to train with your best candidate." He'd already had his choice as the best and she bailed in a major way.

The council head didn't argue. "As you wish. We'll see you soon."

York cut the mental tether and balled his hands into fists. "Becca Wills, one. York Edmonson, a big fat zero."

I like where this story is going. York has good reason to be angry with Becca but she's got baggage she doesn't want to unpack with anyone. She'll eventually come to her senses.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment