Sunday, January 17, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Bright, Burning Yule

Okay, I've been on a cleaning spree again, which means I had a somewhat slow week with television. I haven't been in the mood and my attention span is limited right now.

I did get a new episode of Blue Heelers started. It's an interesting one and I'm enjoying it.

I also finished up the final chapter of the second episode of Queens of Mystery. I really like this show.

Caught the second part of a Silent Witness episode and quite liked the mystery this time. I also enjoyed getting to see the transition from Sam to Leo as professor. I've never seen how they handled that.

Other than my usual slate of Classic Perry Mason and The Saint along with the Ovation shows, I haven't caught much else. Ovation has a new-to-me show called King and I've seen a few of the episodes. Not bad. I'll see if my opinion holds.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Bright, Burning Yule, a Holiday Spirit short.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Stella Silverbell, a holiday spirit, is tasked with bringing Nyssa Nameth, the ultra female werewolf, together with the Braddox Bennington, the prime hunter of all wolf shifters, during the Yule season. Their joining can end centuries of misconception but they have to get over their preconceived notions first.

And a preview snippet…

Nyssa Nameth came up out of the wing back chair. "You can't make me do this." She paced in front of the fire, giving her uncle a side eye.

Nance Nameth didn't flinch under her scrutiny. "Yes, Nyssa. I can." His tone indicated he would, too.

He'd make her mate with someone, whether she wanted to or not.

Nyssa sat back down. "Uncle Nance, please don't. I realize you're the alpha, but you don't have to do this." She didn't ask for the burden she carried.

Nance shook his head. "You're wrong, Nys. And you know it." He turned to face her. "You're an ultra. The first we've had in generations. If you don't choose a mate, we run the risk of dying out completely." His hand clenched into a fist. "The packs have been slaughtered to near unsustainable levels." He pinned her with a hard gaze. "Niece or not, you have until the day after yule to choose your mate." He got up and held his hands toward the fire.

Nyssa slumped. "I'm not ready." She couldn't go into why; her uncle wouldn't care.

Not because he didn't want to, but because the mantle of responsibility rested firmly on his shoulders to keep the packs healthy and whole. Something he couldn't do if she didn't reproduce. Being an ultra wolf sucked balls.

Nance angled his head around. "Too bad. I've given you almost five extra years. You should've chosen at twenty-five. But the responsibility is big; your bloodline will rule until the next ultra female is born." He returned to his chair. "And don't start in about how your bloodline already rules. You know that's not how it works. You have to mate and bond so your children and their children can carry on the lineage." Holding her gaze, he gave her an order. "Choose, Nyssa. Your only other option is exile and the packs will go to war if you decide to take that course." He exhaled slowly and leaned back. "I recommend choosing someone strong and capable of protection and defense."

She rolled her eyes, pissed off he'd picked now to deliver his ultimatum. "Fine. But don't expect to see me at the Yule gathering. If I have to settle and do this, I'm not going to be blasted with reasons why I should pick someone from every male member of the pack." She got up and walked to her door. "Please leave. I've got a lot of thinking to do."

Her uncle slowly rose and, to his credit, didn't sanction her for speaking with disrespect. "I'll expect an answer the day after Yule. We'll make the announcement on New Year's Eve." He exited and closed the door behind him.

Nyssa paced again, cursing her fate and wondering who the hell she might consider spending the rest of her life with. A knock sounded on her door and she bit back a snarl of irritation.

Fully expecting Uncle Nance to be back on her doorstep, she let out a squeak of surprise when an envelope hovered at eye level. "What the hell?" Snagging the missive, she unsealed the parchment and retrieved a folded card.

 

You are cordially invited to spend Yule holiday at Goodacre Bed and Breakfast.

Some much needed peace and solitude will settle your mind and aid in your quest.

 

A brief set of directions followed, noting she could cross into the nether realm whenever she made her decision.

Huffing out a breath, she didn't take really hesitate. "Okay, yeah. Take a few days to ponder my options. Why not?" If nothing else, she could maybe get into the mental headspace she'd need to be in to face the pack when she returned.

Her reluctance twisted in her stomach. She wanted someone to love and grow old with. Wanted to feel the true mating surge—not only produce heirs for the next generation.

Grabbing her bag, she started to pack. "Gonna be difficult no matter what, considering the hunters have significantly thinned the packs."

I have so much fun with the holiday spirit shorts. This one in particular is a favorite. Nyssa's dilemma is going to get worse before it gets better.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment