Sunday, January 24, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Broken Arrow

Wow, January is almost over and it's been a month. I'm cautiously optimistic the year will get better and crossing my fingers to be on the safe side.

Had a semi-busy week with work and I'm still on my cleaning spree. I did get some television watched. Started with another arc of Classic Who and watched the four-part Pyramids of Mars. Will probably get another arc in this week.

Started the next two episodes of Silent Witness. Oddly enough, it featured a horse race and I just finished editing a book about a thoroughbred dynasty so I understood a lot of the jargon.

Also started a new episode of Blue Heelers. There's another new cast member and I'll reserve judgment on whether I like her or not.

As usual, I caught a bunch of the Ovation mysteries and some classic Perry Mason. I also caught a marathon of Hawaii Five-0. I might be somewhat over the loss of Chin and Kono and ready to watch the final seasons. We'll see.

That's pretty much it for television. Tonight's post is from Broken Arrow, a novella that has a character trying to find her way through a crippling experience.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Cailin Berg is a broken arrow, a mage suffering from a crippling experience who can no longer use their skills, and she wants to find a way back to her practice. Phelps Morlach can't give her any answers, but he will offer whatever assistance he can provide … especially since he holds some of the responsibility for Cailin's predicament.

And a preview snippet…

After Farsi settled back on her seat, Cailin made a demand. "You're going to help me, old woman. Tell me what I need to know." She couldn't take the constant barrage of images and noisy echoes in her head.

The oracle calmly shook her head. "You're not ready." She folded her hands and held Cailin's gaze.

Cailin crumpled and made a hard admission. "I'm close to losing my mind." Tears pricked behind her eyelids, but she refused to let them fall.

Farsi gently placed a hand on Cailin's. "Let me make one suggestion. Try to find a quiet place to meditate twice a day." Her fingers tightened on Cailin's. "And, yes, I know you don't have a full appreciation for the art, but you do know how to do it, don't you." She arched a brow.

Cailin nodded because Farsi didn't make it a question. Any mage who'd studied the magickal realm had the ability to meditate.

Farsi continued. "After a week, come back and I will make another effort to give you answers." She let go of Cailin's hand.

Cailin reluctantly agreed. "I really don't have another option, do I?" She couldn't do any magick and she couldn't live this way.

If only she could talk to Phelps. I'm too scared to open up to him. Her fear might be the actual death of her.

Giving Farsi a nod, she slowly got up to leave.

I love how this story is coming together. Cailin has a journey to take and she's reluctant to travel the road she's on, but she'll have some help from Phelps.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment