Sunday, November 21, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Loss

Okay, we're a week before Thanksgiving in the US and I'm happy to say I've got the bulk of my holiday shopping done. I need to get a few more items then it's time to put a bow on the whole package and be done. YAY!

Had a pretty solid week of working and watching television. A new project crossed my desk and it's going well. On the television side, I started with Classic Who and watched a four-episode arc then hit a two-episode arc. Both were enjoyable.

Caught the last two episodes of Roswell: The Final Verdict. Really enjoyed this six-part series. Not sure what I'll pick up with next, but probably something else UFO related.

I watched four episodes of The Muppet Show and finished out season four. The guest hosts were Doug Henning, Andy Williams, Alan Arkin, and Diana Ross. Season five is the final run of the original show and I'm not sure what I'll watch next. Maybe some of the movies.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Fantasy Island. So far, I'm liking the new premise and how things from the past are blended into the current incarnation of the island. Based on what I've read, there's going to be a holiday episode. I'm a total sucker for stuff like that and can't wait.

Finished out season five of Peak Practice. Did not expect it to end with a house burning down, but it happened. Looking forward to starting season six. I'm at the halfway point. Yay!

Watched two more lessons of MasterClass with Brandon McMillan. He's got some great methods and I'm hoping to try some out on my furry mutts soon. I've already incorporated a couple of things and they've worked well.

Completed the first season of Glitch. I didn't see a couple of things coming and I love the twists. Looking forward to starting the second season this week. I gotta say I really feel for James and this show is like catnip because of the love triangle that isn't really a triangle and the fact that no one is a bad guy in it. That's a trope I thoroughly enjoy.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers and have a feeling it's going to be one of those odd ones where the heelers are on opposing sides. Not sure how I'll like this one.

Finished the finale of Star Trek: Discovery. Man, what a ride the first season ended up being. I can't wait to see what the breakdowns will look like on The Ready Room.

Caught two more episodes of Chicago Med. I'm almost finished with the second season and looking forward to the third. Gotta take a moment to appreciate the episode titles. This show makes them fun.

Started a new show with The Madam Blanc Mysteries. So far, I'm hooked. I loved the first episode. Looking forward to seeing more.

Finished the second episode of Silent Witness. I have vague memories of this one and how it played out. Kind of a twisty tale.

Last but not least, I watched two more Classic Rugrats episodes. I'm trying to decide if I want to watch the holiday specials or hold off and watch as they pop up during the seasons. Stay tuned.

That's pretty much it for weekly updates. Tonight's post is from Loss, a novella that puts my characters in a quandary when they deal with grief in completely different ways.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Welsh Hollingsworth is the golden child of Clan Grimstone, but when he's expected to fill the void left when his dad is killed, he can't quite figure out how and he hopes Cagney Gaines can help him find some insight. Cagney can't deal with the loss of her mentor, the one constant in her chaotic world and she leaves when Welsh needs her the most. One year later, she returns to find a very different Welsh—one who doesn't welcome her with open arms.

And a preview snippet…

Welsh woke with a start and had ten blissful seconds of peace before his memory kicked in and the world went dark again. He needed to be a leader today and the idea freaked him out. How had his dad managed for so long?

He scrubbed a hand over his face. "Cagney?" Her side of the bed—empty and cool to the touch—barely looked slept in. "She must be in the shower.'' But his bathroom hadn't been used. "Maybe she's in hers."

He grabbed a shower and dressed then went to make coffee. All routine things that no longer felt normal. Because the looming presence of sending his dad to his final rest hovered on the fringes of his mind. Jacko knocked on the door at the moment the coffeemaker finished brewing.

Welsh offered Jacko a cup. "I'd like to get a group together to build the pyre."

Jacko nodded. "I figured. You want to go to the square or do it here?"

Welsh didn't hesitate. ''Here. I know the square is the community gathering place, but my old man welcomed any and all at the estate. And I plan to do the same."

Jacko didn't argue. "No one is going think it's a bad idea."

Welsh shrugged. "Truce or not, we should be ready to bring people in. The closer everyone stays, the easier it'll be to respond if the treaty is broken."

Jacko cocked his head. "What do you think Bainbridge is angling for?"

Welsh shrugged. "I don't know, but it's definitely something. Bainbridge is full of shit and he's not going to sit back and lick his wounds. We've got a reprieve but it won't last long." He'd bet his entire future on that fact.

Jacko put his mug on the counter. "We'll keep this information under wraps for now?"

Welsh nodded. "We will. The clan needs to focus on Dad right now and mourning our dead. Time enough to say our good-byes before we open the floodgates of planning and preparation."

Jacko lifted his chin. "For what it's worth, I wouldn't do anything different. You're handling everything the way I would."

Welsh appreciated the boost of confidence. "Thanks for saying so. Could we get the crew together in an hour or so?"

Jacko left with the assurance he'd have everyone ready.

Welsh stared out the window, pondering the toll it would take on him to lead and grieve at the same time. He considered whether to track Cagney down but decided against it.

He backed away from the counter. "Let her have some time alone." He got a kick of guilt for relying on her to do things his way. "I'll get her when the time comes to light the pyre."

They could figure out the future after they'd laid his old man to rest.

This one is challenging but so enjoyable to write. Welsh is a natural-born leader but doesn't think so and he stumbles along his way for a while.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment