Sunday, November 28, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Man Up

Hope everyone had a terrific US holiday and a terrific week if not in the US. I got to spend time with my oldest and youngest kiddos and enjoyed being able to do so. I think I have two more gifts and maybe some odds and ends to pick up and I'm done with holiday shopping. Fairly pleased to be a little ahead of my usual last-minute rush.

Had a good week of television viewing. I watched another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. This show continues to make me so happy.

Got a two-part Silent Witness watched. This is one I didn't remember and I'm glad I got to watch it.

Got a full arc of Classic Who in and started a new one. I've discovered a couple of episodes were almost an hour in this season, which is actually kind of cool.

Started a new series with Mysteries of Apollo and the first episode focused on the Apollo 13 mission and some of the in-depth history of that experience.

Began season five of The Muppet Show and watched four episodes. Gene Kelly, Loretta Swit, Joan Baez, and Shirley Bassey were the guest hosts. Final season of the original.

Caught two episodes of Fantasy Island and I'm still thoroughly enjoying the show. I think I have one left in this first season and I'll look forward to the holiday episode.

Started season six of Peak Practice. Great episode that moved the timeline ahead a little. Being at the halfway mark of the entire run is a nice accomplishment.

Enjoyed another lesson of MasterClass with Brandon McMillan. Some great tips on housebreaking that I hope to put into effect after I get my downstairs area organized.

Season two of Glitch started out with an interesting twist. This show is very twisty and turny and I like that. Looking forward to getting more information on how everything works and finding out if Sarah is another one of the risen. If so, poor James. Two women in his life? That's a lot.

Remember when I thought I finished the first season of Star Trek: Discovery? Yeah, not the case. I had two more episodes. Watched the penultimate this week and, wow, what a mix of highs and lows. This show. Just saying.

Started season three of Chicago Med. I like how they moved the timeline ahead and seeing where everyone ended up. Conor breaks my heart. April breaks my heart. Wil and Nat make me happy. The horrible new surgical resident irritates the life out of me. So far, so good. LOL

Watched another episode of The Madame Blanc Mysteries. I really love the dynamic of this show and the mystery this week ended up being terrific. Also love the overarching mystery of who killed Jean's husband. Interesting show.

That's pretty much it for this week. Tonight's post is from Man Up, a fun tale of a game going too far in exactly the right way.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Hattie Hale and Nero Palmer, instructors at the Academy of Light, are supposed to set the example, but can't quite get past their competitive natures. A drunken game of one-ups-manship goes all the way to the sleeping chamber because neither will admit to being outdone.

And a preview snippet…

Around noon on Saturday, Nero stood outside Hattie's door. "I'm crazy to do this." But he wouldn't welsh on a bet.

He knocked and when no one answered he rapped on the wood again. Moments later, a thud sounded from inside and a scrape of metal against wood followed by a string of curses echoed behind the window.

Hattie pulled the door open, looking worse for the wear. "What the hell, Nero. Why are you here?" She squinted against the sunlight streaming through the trees.

He gave harsh exhale. "Did we really agree to having a one-upsmanship contest last night?" Maybe she'd forgotten.

Hattie winced. "Ugh. You're here at the asscrack of dawn to ask me that?" She ran a hand through her tangled hair.

Nero quirked a brow. "It's after noon, Hats. If we're doing this, we've got until Tuesday since we're on school holiday Monday." Seventy-two hours or so to figure out who really ruled.

She rolled her eyes. "Fine." She stepped back and swept her arm out, inviting him in. "But don't say another word until I get caffeinated." Shuffling across the floor, she headed for her kitchen.

He followed her inside and scoped out her living space. Surprisingly tidy and orderly, except for a chair bumped up against the coffee table. No doubt the source for the earlier commotion and swearing.

Why he thought her home would be mass chaos he couldn't honestly say. Okay, he'd admit having preconceived notions because she rarely if ever invited anyone into her personal space. And the way she ran her classes, with unbridled enthusiasm and raucous abandon fed into his perception.

He huffed out a breath. "Might have to alter the perspective a little."

She strolled back into the living room, carrying a huge mug of coffee in each hand. "Didn't know if you'd want some…" Reaching out, she lifted one of the cups.

Nero accepted the java. "Thank you. I probably don't need it, but I love a good cup of coffee." He took a sip and blinked in surprise. "Wow … this is excellent."

She toasted him. "Thanks." Settling on the couch, she tucked her feet under her thighs. "You might as well sit. I don't plan to move from this spot until the pot is empty." A flick of her wrist conjured a carafe onto the ottoman between the couch and two chairs.

Nero chose a chair and leaned against the cushion. "Okay, you don't have to move until the coffee is gone, but you only have until your first cup is empty for quiet time." He arched a brow, daring her to argue.

She narrowed her eyes but inclined her head.

Nero considered he'd won the first round and added a point to his win column.

I love the dynamic between Nero and Hattie. This is such a fun story to write.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment