Sunday, November 14, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Lie to Me

Well, we're finally getting November weather. It's chilly outside and we got some snow showers that really ended up being flurries flying wildly in the wind. I'm kind of excited to get into the true depth of fall.

Had a decent week of catching up on projects and doing more organizing. I also made a dent in my holiday shopping. I'm making an effort to be on top of that this year.

Pretty solid week of viewing also. I got two episodes of Glitch in. I thought I'd already watched the third episode but I hadn't. So I'll be starting episode five this week. Some crazy stuff happened and we're down two characters. I'm very interested in what the hell happened to Vic.

Caught another musical icon episode. Whitney Houston: We Will Always Love You ended up being full of stuff I didn't know or remember about the singer. I like revisiting the lives of those we've lost.

Watched the penultimate episode of Star Trek: Discovery. Definitely had a twist I sort of expected but didn't know if the show would go there. They totally did. I'm kind of excited to see the finale then dive into the Ready Room breakdowns. I kind of hope Wil loses his mind over some of the twists and turns. He's so much fun because he's such a huge fan.

Enjoyed two episode of Chicago Med. I'm almost through the second season with one more episode to go. I'm kind of sad about Robin's descent, especially because Rhodes is such a nice guy. I'm also thrilled with how Reese is coming into her own and standing up for herself. Her confidence is amazing this season.

Caught the season finale of Midsomer Murders. Really liked this one and loved the mystery. I rather hope there's another season in the works.

Finished season thirteen of Silent Witness and started the first episode of season fourteen. I'm a little iffy on whether I remember this one or not. Some of the details are pinging so I think I did watch it before.

Watched the season twenty finale of Classic Who. Thoroughly enjoyed "The Five Doctors" and seeing all the former companions back for a spin. Although Four didn't have much of anything to do, which, honestly, isn't a huge loss. He'd been the most recent anyway.

Caught another episode of Roswell: The Final Verdict and liked the deep dive into how some of the witnesses were discredited and humiliated. Everything that happened with the Roswell incident is fascinating.

Enjoyed two more episodes of The Muppet Show. Lynda Carter and Carol Channing were the guest stars. The muppets trying to be super heroes was hilarious.

Started the updated version of Fantasy Island. Interesting premise and pretty decent storylines. I'll finish out the season and see if things hold up.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice. I'm almost through season five and I'm still liking the mix of partners. I think I have two episodes left before season six starts.

Watched another MasterClass with Brandon McMillan. This one gave me some good insight into how to keep my doggos from jumping. I'm going to try some of the techniques because that's a huge problem with both dogs.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Rugrats. Two were favorites from watching with my kiddos when they were little. This show is so much fun to revisit.

Also caught another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. Nice to see Jared back and what a terrific case. I'm hoping the lawyer lady gets caught at some point. Because she's definitely guilty. Also wondering if the final duo will end up featuring in another episode at some point.

And that's pretty much it for this week's television update. Tonight's post is from Lie to Me, a novella that puts one of the characters in a dangerous situation and forces the other to consider how to save them.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Jana Ricks has a target on her back and she wants Rhys McPherson to help her get rid of it. Rhys loves Jana, but may not be able to protect her, not if they want to stay alive, which he's determined to make happen … even if it means giving up the future he wants.

And a preview snippet…

Jana showered and waited for Rhys. He tripped the ward to alert her and she went to the door. She drank in the sight of him ambling along her walkway.

She sighed. "Such a handsome geek." Her long-buried feelings for him threatened to consumer her.

She loved him. Always would. Even if she'd never have him again.

When he stepped up onto her porch, she exited to meet him. "I'm sorry. I didn't know who to call. No one else has your knowledge." The man loved nothing more than to be surrounded by books.

He hugged her. A quick squeeze and release. Her body craved more. So much more.

Rhys cupped her face. "You know I'll always have your back." He followed her inside. "You've set perimeter wards?" He hefted his bag higher on his shoulder.

She nodded. "Right now, you're the only one who has access. Anyone else will get an unpleasant welcome." And probably not live to tell anyone about it.

Rhys cocked his head. "You took a risk going out to set an exception."

Jana flushed hot. "Er, I didn't go out." She held up a shirt—the fabric whisper soft from wear. "I used this to create the allowance for your admittance." She tucked the garment under her arm with no plans to give it back.

Rhys huffed out a breath. "Smart." He dumped his bag on the chair by the table. "Didn't realize I'd left anything behind." His gaze drifted toward the living area.

Jana winced but didn't jump on the subject. He didn't come to rehash the reasons they'd split up. Awkward moment much.

Jana finally remembered her manners. "How are Lindi and the kids?" Stupid question, but she could play nice when necessary.

Rhys gave her a wry grin. "They're all right. The kids have adjusted to living at the estate." He sobered. "Lindi's hanging in there." He jammed his hands into his pockets.

Translation—the kids are bouncing back and Lindi is still pissed at you.

She changed the subject. "I didn't get a good look at the predator, but it's either a hell hound or a hex cat. My money's on the cat." She paced a little, fighting the creeped-out feeling of being chased. "I think it was cloaked so a description could be avoided." Pretty damn smart, if she wanted to be nice about things.

She didn't.

Rhys dragged his books out of his bag. "Any reason why you're betting on the cat?" He stacked five volumes on the table.

Jana shrugged. "A hound would be baying in frustration over not getting past my wards." And probably chomping at the bit to get at her.

Rhys lifted his chin. "Unless it's well-trained."

Jana conceded. "Okay. Good point. But … they're notoriously hard to train and not many have the patience or skill to do it."

Rhys gave a slow nod. "True. We'll focus on a hex cat to start." He grabbed a book from the pile.

Jana pointed to the living room. "I cleared the table so you've got room to spread out. Or you—we—can work in here." She started toward the room.

Rhys couldn't hide a slight grimace. "You're helping?" He tucked two books under his arm and lifted three more in both hands.

Jana laughed. "Don't worry. I figured I can play fetch and carry. I promise I won't touch the precious tomes." A long-standing bone of contention between them—her lack of scholarly pursuits showed in her nonexistent reverence for a musty text.

Rhys picked up on her stab at humor. "Hey, the precious tomes might be the only thing to save your very nice ass." He strolled past her with a quirky grin on his face and put the books on the ottoman in front of the couch.

Jana couldn't suppress a lick of satisfaction. At least he still liked her butt. She shut down the euphoria and focused on the reason Rhys had to be here.

Her work created a lot of havoc. Rhys had knowledge about a little bit of everything. She wouldn't regret using whatever connection they had to figure this out. And she wouldn't make too much of anything else.

Heading back toward the kitchen, she called over her shoulder. "I'll put some coffee on."

I love writing banter between characters who have a lot of underlying tension. Rhys and Jana definitely have history and a lot of shorthand between them.



That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment