Sunday, December 5, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Maybe This Seems Familiar

Hello, December. I'm stuck between being excited for the holiday season and freaking out because I have a lot of things I'd like to get accomplished and not enough time to slide them all in. The story of my life.

Not a bad week of television but a little lighter than usual. I started out with Peak Practice and ended up getting two episodes watched. Both were pretty decent.

Finished up the MasterClass with Brandon McMillan. I had two lessons left and got some great information from both. Not sure what I'll start next but I'm excited.

Caught another episode of Glitch. Some interesting developments and good information. I like the pacing of this series and find I need to focus so I don't miss an important piece of the puzzle.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. I finished up season one and started season two. Looking forward to diving back in.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med. Season three is beginning with a good run. I'm a little on the fence about Dr. Reese. I love her passion but I also get annoyed when she goes off the deep end about something.

Started season six of The Brokenwood Mysteries. Interesting to see another one of Mike's ex wives. I liked having Jared back. Also a good mystery to keep things fun.

Caught an episode of Silent Witness. I don't remember this one so I'm interested to see how the second half ends.

Finished the second part of Classic Who and said goodbye to Tegan. I think the Master is going to make another appearance soon, which I'm kind of meh about.

Enjoyed another episode of Mysteries of Apollo. This one focused on Apollo 8 and had some great information. I love watching old footage of the space program's beginning.

Watched two more episodes of The Muppet Show. James Coburn and Glenda Jackson were the guest stars. The pirate-themed episode ended up being a lot of fun.

Caught another episode of Fantasy Island. Really fun episode even if the theme ended up being a little dark.

Finally caught the finale of Star Trek: Discovery. Really great ending to the first season. I'm excited to start the breakdowns of The Ready Room then move on to season two.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Maybe This Seems Familiar, a novella that puts the heroine on a path to redemption but not without a trial by fire.

Here's the mini-blurb:

A tragic death sends Inyx Pic, an Adept Major, into a brittle shell of self-doubt. When Philo Batson, her Adept Master, pushes Inyx to get back to teaching, her armor of disillusionment cracks and anger and grief come pouring out, leaving Philo to handle the fallout.

And a preview snippet…

After showering and dressing in light layers, Philo stopped at Fillomena's apartment on the lower floor of a grand old lady. The muted jewel tones of the slightly peeling paint clashed with the vibrant warm and sunny blooms overflowing from potted containers. Fillomena often chose discord over harmony in everything from décor to food and fashion.

Originally, he'd been drawn to her opposites attract way of living. But lately … he had to admit he'd been looking for the antithesis of Inyx. Fillomena definitely fit the role.

He knocked on the door and stepped back to wait on a response. When none came, he strolled around the house to check the backyard. Fillomena liked to putter around before she started her first class.

She glanced up when he rounded the corner of the house and gave him a long, level look. "I expected you last night." She went back to pruning a small bush. "You didn't show."

He came to a stop next to her. "I'm sorry. I got caught up." No need to get into why.

She stiffened. "With Inyx, no doubt." Snip, snip her shears went with more force than necessary.

Okay, the why wouldn't be denied.

He nodded. "She's having a hard time with Millie's death."

Fillomena's lips twisted in a cruel smile. "Maybe she should reevaluate her methods. I mean, letting her students get ahead of themselves and not properly schooling them is dangerous." Her fingers grasped another branch and snipped.

Philo didn't come to discuss Inyx's philosophy on teaching. "Look, that may well be true, but I'm here for a different reason."

Fillomena angled her head. "To end things, perhaps?" She rose and faced him.

Philo lifted his chin. "We're heading in different directions." He paused a moment. "I'm not sure we were ever really on the same path."

Fillomena waved her hand. "If not, it's only because you're stuck in the past and won't leave it behind." She shrugged. "It's your loss, Philo." She started pruning a new spot on the bush.

Philo wouldn't deny he'd never left his feelings for Inyx completely fade. But he had made an effort with Fillomena. They didn't fit together the way a couple should. At least not in his mind.

He frowned. "I'm sorry if I hurt you. It was never my intention."

She lifted a shoulder. "I'll survive. And I'm sure I'll find a better man than you … one who appreciates my skill and talent."

Ouch. But he deserved the rebuke. "I hope you do, Fillomena. Take care." He backed away, a little unsettled by the encounter.

He brushed the uneasiness aside and chalked it up to being tired from last night. He needed to stop by the academic hall and meet with the sage master then drop in on a couple of classes. Then he could make his way back to Inyx's and see how she fared with the class roster.

His lips curved. "Hopefully, she'll still be in a decent mood."

Breakup scenes aren't usually my forte, but I like how this one turned out. Philo's in for a bit of a surprise with regards to Fillomena and Inyx is going play a role in his discovery.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment