Sunday, December 19, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Mendacium

December is flying by. I had a busy week trying to get things organized and moved around from the new furniture saga and also dealing getting one kid off to Disney with her grandfather and trying to help another kid during a flare up of his ongoing medical issue. Also had a couple of work projects thrown in.

Slower than usual week for television. I started out by finishing up the final arc of Five on Classic Who. I'd forgotten how much of a snarky snipe Six started out as. Started the first episode of his full arc to end season twenty-one.

Caught another episode of Mysteries of Apollo. I might have inadvertently watched two episodes but I won't know for certain until this week.

Watched two episodes of The Muppet Show. Jean Pierre Rampal and Paul Simon were the guest stars.

Finished up the first season of Fantasy Island. Man, I have to give kudos. I really enjoyed this first season. I'm looking forward to the holiday special next week.

Caught another episode of Peak Practice. It was a tough one to watch and had a lot going on. Erica held her own but, man, what a wringer they put her through.

Enjoyed another MasterClass lesson with Bill Nye. This one focused on how science changes your perspective. Pretty interesting.

Totally flubbed thinking I'd be watching The Ready Room for season one of Star Trek: Discovery only to realize the behind the scenes show didn't start until season two. So … I watched the first episode of the second season. Man, I'm really loving this show. So great to have the introduction of Pike and get some insight on Spock. Really looking forward to this season.

Watched another episode of Chicago Med. Lots of stuff going on but a solid viewing experience. Feels like everyone is kind of heading for a breaking point, Robin and Sarah, especially. Nice to see April and Ethan going public.

Caught another episode of The Madame Blanc Mysteries. Whew. Plot is moving forward in a big way. I think I have two more episodes and I'm kind of wondering how the main arc is going to be resolved. I'm also hoping for another season of this show. It's a lot of fun.

Finished up the second part of Silent Witness. Harry went through a rough ride. I'm not completely certain the police detective wasn't playing both sides but I liked that.

That's pretty much it for this week's television update. I'll be starting season two of The Witcher this week, which means I'll be putting Glitch on hold until I wrap that up.

Tonight's post is from Mendacium, a novella that puts my characters on opposite sides and they have to find their way back to each other.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Kelby Svet and Reave Systevich work for Mendacium, a covert organization that monitors magical ability among the human population. When powers go out of control or get abused, Kelby and Reave deal with the fallout—until a betrayal puts them on different sides.

And a preview snippet…

Kelby woke to an incessant buzzing in her ear. "Dammit, Pope. Can I have one fucking night to myself?"

"It's after ten, Kelb. Get your ass up and meet me at the grotto. I've got a job for you."

She hated the nickname her handler used. Pope could be a huge dick. Did she even want to meet him?

Not really. And last night's conversation played over and over in her mind. Kel, let's wrap this case and cut out. Find somewhere quiet away from the politics and constant policing and enjoy life. Man, she didn't expect Reave's suggestion to take root and sprout winding tendrils in her brain.

But the idea had her thinking.

Rising slowly, she carefully slid out of bed and crept to the bathroom. Why did she need to be stealthy? The answer rubbed a raw spot in her heart.

"Because I have to meet Pope. I can't quit until I do."

Am I going to quit?

She honestly didn't know. But she needed time and space to clear her head and meeting with Pope would give her both. She could always come back to Reave after she'd weighed the options.

Grabbing her clothes, she dressed quickly then splashed cold water on her face. She popped the door open and paused on her way to the living room to watch Reave for a moment. He slept deeply, with one arm shoved under the pillow and the other lying on his stomach. Her heart skipped a beat. The man her want things she hadn't dared to think about and she had to resist the urge to crawl back in bed with him. Damn Pope and his stupid job.

Shaking her head, she entered the living room and found her boots. After slipping her feet inside, she stuck her head back into the bedroom for another quick glimpse of Reave before she crossed over and left the safe house.

Before she shimmered away, she sent a silent promise. "I'll be back, Reave. Count on it."

Famous last words … Kelby may or may not regret uttering them.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment