Sunday, December 12, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Melee

I'm so excited because for the first time in over twenty years—actually, maybe longer—I got some new furniture. It's kind of my holiday present from everyone in the family. A new small recliner and a new couch. I'll be adding a chaise at some point but haven't found one I like yet. The couch story is an entire saga and I didn't expect it until December 23, but it arrived Friday!

I also had a super-busy work schedule, which had me buried for most of the week. I'm definitely not complaining. I love to be busy.

Had a decent week of television but somewhat abbreviated. I started with the Madam Blanc Mysteries. I'm quite enjoying how the larger mystery arc is being woven into the weekly episodes.

I finished up the second part of Silent Witness and started a new episode. Gotta say I'm now into episodes I haven't seen yet. The first part left quite a cliffhanger. I'm a little freaked out.

I caught a full arc of Classic Who and, yes, the Master showed up. I started a new four-part arc and I think this is when we say goodbye to Five. I'll let you know next week.

Watched Mysteries of Apollo and this episode focused on NASA's first heroes, mainly the astronauts from Mercury and Gemini. Quite an interesting episode.

Enjoyed two episodes of The Muppet Show. Senor Wences and Bruce Schwartz and Debbie Harry were the guest stars. Both were fun episodes.

Caught another episode of Fantasy Island. I'm quite happy with this updated version. Looking forward to the holiday episode.

Watched an episode of Peak Practice. An interesting plot with this one. Kind of cool to get a little more backstory for Andrew.

Started a new MasterClass. The instructor is Bill Nye and I can't wait to dive into his classes.

Caught two episodes of Classic Rugrats. Season two is a lot of fun with some memorable stories.

Enjoyed a holiday episode of Chicago Med. Gotta say Dr. Charles is going through it right now. Actually, both of them are. A really great episode nonetheless.

Watched another Brokenwood Mysteries. As usual, this show makes me happy. I love the characters and their interactions. Kind of interesting to meet another one of Mike's exes.

That's pretty much it for this week. Tonight's post is from Melee, a novella that puts my characters in harm's way when they have issue with the same antagonist.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Josie Walls and Parson Parrington gain extraordinary skills when they're captured and experimented on in a remote laboratory in an icy tundra. Longing to be free, they put their newfound abilities to the test, escaping their prison and going on the run.

And a preview snippet…

Parson bit back a groan. It fucking figured. His stupid, double-crossing, absolute asshole of a former business partner.

His head jerked sideways. "Wait, you know Hollis?"

Josie flinched. "Ugh. Unfortunately. He's my ex."

Parson rolled his eyes. "I'd like to ask what the hell you saw in him, but I'm all too aware of the charming front her projects to get what he wants." Especially raven-haired beauties like Josie.

Her hands clenched at her sides. "Oh, yeah. It's all fun and games until the gloves come off." Disgust laced her tone.

No doubt she left out the part about when the fists started flying. Part of the reason Parson severed ties with Hollis had everything to do with the man's abuse of anyone or anything he grew tired of.

Parson lowered his voice. "We were business partners for five years before I finally figured out his midas touch wasn't worth the toll it took on my conscience." Or the potential legal problems if Mayweather decided to use Parson as a patsy. "He didn't appreciate losing the beard of civility when I walked away." And Parson paid a price for doing so—might possibly still be paying.

Josie tsked. "Let me guess … you had an accident that wasn't an accident, right? Nothing too serious but bad enough to act as a painful reminder." Her fingers uncurled and flexed.

Sick dread filled Parson. Hollis hurt her or someone close to her. Fucking asshole.

Parson grunted. "Something like that. But this … is a whole new level of what-the-fuck. Drugging, kidnapping, and keeping us prisoner? That's off the hook even for Hollis."

Josie angled her head toward him a little. "I only had fifteen months with the guy but I figure being here might be more par for the course than you want to believe."

Parson weighed her words. "Maybe. It's been three years since I've seen or heard from him, but I've heard rumors about some shady shit." Why didn't I pay attention?

Josie snorted. "Pretty sure the shady shit is the tip of the iceberg. I walked away six months ago because I overheard Hollis threaten to end a rival's entire family line. No idea how he planned to accomplish that feat or if he was even serious, but at that point, I didn't care." He voice went quiet. "I saw him clearly for the first time."

Parson understood completely. "Right. The blinders come off and the picture turns ugly. I get it." He wanted to ask what kind of retaliation she'd experienced but the door snicked open and two white-coated men entered the room.

Hollis Mayweather strolled in behind them.

He moved to stand between the two gurneys. "Good to see you getting to know each other. You'll have plenty more time to continue. But first, you're going to be the very first test dummies for a new compliance program I'm setting up." He rubbed his hands together and nodded to the other men.

Parson flinched when a needle pricked his bicep. The room went fuzzy and gray but he didn't black out. Instead, he remained aware and cognizant while the lab techs started an IV and pushed a cold liquid into the tubing. Josie received the same treatment.

Parson started getting heavy-eyed and his ears roared with white noise but he wouldn't forget the look of utter glee on Hollis's face before he exited the room.

I love having a Bond-like villain and Hollis fits that bill to perfection. I can't wait to see what Parson and Josie do to take Hollis down.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment