Sunday, January 16, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Mocking with a Side of Sarcasm

We're supposed to get dumped on by winter storm Izzy. I don't know, six to eleven inches doesn't seem like getting hammered by snow, but it'll make driving very not fun.

Had a great work week and started a new project. Also got another haul of books that I've already cracked open and started reading. I'm gonna need another bookcase in the near future.

Decent week of television also. Caught two episodes of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life and kind of enjoyed them. They're super short and rather fun.

Finished up an episode of Silent Witness and started a new two-parter. This show continues to make me happy. Although Leo is being a bit of a shit and that disappoints me.

Caught two more episodes of Classic Who. The Master returned, which is kind of meh for me. I'm not a fan of his weirdness or one-note return to evil.

Watched two more episodes of The Alaska Triangle. Both focused on hauntings and one featured giants and the other had a creature called the kushtaka. I found everything fascinating. Gotta watch more shows about Alaskan lore.

Finished out season five of The Muppet Show. Johnny Cash, Buddy Rich, Linda Ronstadt, and Roger Moore were the guest stars. I'll probably start a new muppet series this week.

Caught two more episodes of Fosse Verdon. I feel like I missed out on so much by not really following this as it all happened. I didn't really get into Broadway shows until my late twenties, which is almost a decade after Fosse died.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Peak Practice. I'm nearing the end of season six and they've tackled a lot this season. Kind of looking forward to Claire having the baby to see where things go from there.

I finished up the first season of The Madame Blanc Mysteries. Only slightly surprised by who the villain turned out to be and I'm looking forward to seeing if this thread is picked back up if there's a second season.

Watched two more MasterClass lessons with Bill Nye. I truly enjoy how he presents information. I think I have about four more classes with him and I'm looking forward to more.

Caught two episodes of The Witcher. Man, the second episode almost did me in. Never thought I'd be so damned bummed about a horse. And, wow, the storm brewing around Ciri is getting intense. I only have two episodes left and I'm not sure I'm ready for them.

Enjoyed two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. This show makes me happy. The first two seasons are filled with so much tongue in cheek, yet very spot-on mayhem.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med. I have a sad feeling Sarah is headed for lots of trouble. Really not sure about the whole Conor Beckett hookup. I mean, I know what happens but the way they get started is kind of bleh.

Started season seven of The Brokenwood Mysteries. I really hope there's more to come from this series. I have a lot of fun watching this group solve crime.

Also caught another episode of Star Trek: Discovery. Suru and Michael have come such a long way and I love their storyline. This show really makes me happy.

That's pretty much it for this week's television update. Tonight's post is from Mocking with a Side of Sarcasm, a novella where the characters butt heads in a great way.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Bentley Briggs is snarky on a good day, but when she becomes mocking and throws out a side of sarcasm, Vasek Barrett wants to know why. He discovers a secret Bentley doesn't want him to know and she'll elevate her vitriol to an art form, but it won't keep Vasek from lending a hand.

And a preview snippet…

What the hell have I walked in on?

Two men pacing back and forth never amounted to anything good. And their stricken and, yeah, guilty looks only added to her discomfort. Each man looked like an animal caught in the crosshairs.

Shit. "Aw, fuck. You told him." If she could get away with murder, she'd kill Teague right now. "You had no right to share that information. It's not your secret to tell." Okay, not entirely true but, dammit, she should've been able to tell Vasek. In her own time and her own way.

Now she wouldn't have the chance.

Teague moved forward. "He needed to know. If he doesn't give the hounds a heads-up, you run the risk of, at the very least, being tracked and tagged when they're on patrol." He snarled the words.

She hand-waved his concern. "So what? I've gone toe-to-toe with them before. It's not like they don't know me." Why all the drama?

Vasek stepped in. "Dammit, Bentley. Think about it. Do you know what they'll do to you if they get a bead on you?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Obviously I've missed something. What, exactly, is the problem?" Could she get any deeper in the shit pile?

Teague's lips flattened and his face went stony. Great. He blabbed to Vasek without any trouble but he wouldn't inform her? What happened to his all-consuming need to be parental?

Vas gave a sound of disgust. "If you don't tell her, I will. She needs to know, dammit."

A ball of dread spooled in her stomach. What the hell is going on?

Teague made a reluctant noise. "There are certain times of the month where your ability might manifest itself in ways that will be dangerous for you." He paced back and forth again. "Similar to when female animals go in heat. Unless you learn control, you could change without warning, give off a heightened scent, and-or draw potential mates to you without realizing it and they wouldn't be able to resist." He stopped walking. "Basically, the hounds wouldn't just track and tag, they'd track, tag, and fight to the death to take."

Bentley absorbed his words, letting the ramifications wash over her then completely lost her shit. "Well, that's just fucking awesome. Yet another way you've managed to screw everything up in my life." Balling her fists, she fought the urge to punch something. "Thanks for that, oh great sperm donor." She clicked her tongue against her teeth. "And thanks for the need to put the information out there. I'll bet Vasek can't wait to explain this to his faction." At least he'd take care to minimize the details and the damage.

Teague flung a hand out. "If you won't let me train you to mask the potential pitfalls, I have to be responsible and make sure we're not wasting time and resources on erroneous sightings or start a war during the patrols."

Bentley rolled her eyes. "Right. Just dandy you choose to take responsibility for this but couldn't be bothered after you dicked my mom. That's just perfect." She hated being such a bitch, especially with an audience that didn't deserve to have the sordid details of her parentage strewn out for his listening pleasure.

Teague sighed. "You know what? I'm only going to say this once. What I had with your mother went beyond wanting a good fuck. I loved her."

Bentley tsked. "Right, so much so, you left as soon as you found out you knocked her up. What about that responsibility?" Hurt and pain filled her voice and she hated both.

Teague closed his eyes and exhaled slowly. "It's a two-way street, Bentley. I'm willing to accept what I owe you, but you have to be ready to learn and focus. Until that happens, we're done here. Which means you're on short notice. You can't be running around out there until you can control the ability. It's not safe for you or anyone else." He sent an SOS glance in Vasek's direction.

Vas, to his credit, held up both hands. "You have a valid point, Teague, but it's her call. My guys will get the heads-up and do everything they can to manage the situation." He directed his gaze to Bentley. "Until we know more about how your ability will function, you might want to at least get a handle on the basic methods he wants to teach you."

Ugh. Of course, he'd go diplomatic on her. Not that she blamed him. He'd be in a really tough spot, thanks to her paternal nightmare.

Bentley growled. "Fine." She sent a scathing glance toward Teague. "I'll think about working with you on this, but it'll be on my terms. I'll let you know when I'm ready." Which would not be tonight.

Teague grunted. "That's a start."

She turned to leave. "By the way, I'm in for the night. You can call off the watchdogs. And I don't mean the hounds." She'd be damned if he would have her followed twenty-four seven.

Teague frowned. "I didn't have anyone else out there."

Bentley cocked her head. Interesting. And probably not good.

She hedged a little. "Hmm. I was tailed the moment I left the bar." A creepy feeling entered her brain. "Gave whoever the hell it was a show." She'd figured it would piss Teague off.

Teague's brows furrowed. "You went skinny dipping in Havers Lake, didn't you?"

Damn. Scary how well he knew her. Even without the parental connection.

She shrugged. "Maybe. None of your damned business." She started for the door again.

Teague blocked her path. "It is if you're being followed."

Bentley sidestepped around him. "No, it's not. You're not putting me on a leash. I'm not in the field right now, which you know makes me crazy. If you think you're going to keep me prisoner in the manor, you're dead-ass wrong." She held up a hand when he started to argue. "I won't go out alone anymore. That's all I'm willing to concede."

His mouth thinned to a slash across his face but he gave her a terse nod.

To play nice, she met Vasek's gaze. "Wanna walk me out?"

He fell into step beside her and they exited the room.

Thankfully, he said nothing on the way to her place, giving her time to ponder how much she didn't want to be spending quality time with her dear, old dad.

I love having a character that has to deal with a big reveal, especially when they don't want to deal with the fallout from it.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment