Sunday, January 9, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Mister Mysterious

Not a bad week overall. The weather has been a little crazypants, but given the state of the world, not exactly surprising.

Had a new work project and set up several more for the near future. Happy about getting some new ink on my calendar. Also started a new goal of reading a bit from my new books. If I make it an almost daily habit, I'll get a lot accomplished.

Decent viewing week for television. I caught a couple of Peanuts specials. Happy New Year, Charlie Brown and It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown. I don't think I've ever seen either.

Watched the penultimate episode of The Madame Blanc Mysteries. So far, I'm really enjoying this new show. Here's hoping there will be more.

Caught two episodes of Classic Who and I'm stuck between thinking it's kind of cool that the Doctor struggles with maintaining the TARDIS and being annoyed by the idea. Did kind of enjoy the various incarnations the ship took when they moved from place to place.

Enjoyed two episodes of The Alaska Triangle. I'm constantly fascinated by how vast the state is and how beautiful the scenery is. Even with weird stuff going on.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers. Not quite sure what this one will be about but I have a feeling Wayne's not going to fare well.

Watched four episodes of The Muppet Show. Gladys Knight, Hal Linden, Marty Feldman, and Wally Boag were the guest stars. Almost finished with season five and then it'll be the new-to-me series and movies up next.

Got two more episodes of Peak Practice watched. The icky doctor finally got his comeuppance and Claire's manic depression might have calmed down a little. Still enjoying this one.

Finished up the holiday special of Fantasy Island. I ended up a blubbery mess by the end of it. Kudos to the writing staff for that. Really like where this show is headed. Fingers crossed they don't eff it up like so many other shows.

Enjoyed two more lessons of MasterClass with Bill Nye. I love his mix of humor and excitement. I wish school districts would let teachers instruct the way he does.

Got two episodes of The Witcher watched and I'm so in love with this show. I love everything about the plotlines this season. I'm very excited about the main trio meeting up … if it happens. If it doesn't, I'll deal but I want Geralt, Yennifer, and Ciri in one room at the same time—even if it's the final cut scene of the season. Just saying.

Watched two more episodes of Classic Rugrats. Both were remembered favorites. Someday, I'd love to watch some of these with my oldest kidlet again.

Caught two episodes of Chicago Med and enjoyed both. There's something about a medical drama that makes me very happy. This one walks a nice line of drama and humor.

Finished up season six of The Brokenwood Mysteries. I've got one season left and I'm actually hoping there will be another one in the wings. Haven't really looked to see if that's going to happen but here's hoping.

Started a new season and a new two-parter of Silent Witness. Harry is still around, which is terrific. I love his character. I also don't remember watching this run so I might finally be in new episodes for me.

Caught another episode of Fosse Verdon. This one made me grin because my daughter did the "Who's Got the Pain" number for her senior year pops concert. I'm hoping I can get her to watch at least that scene.

Last but not least, I watched another episode of Star Trek: Discovery. A lot going on in this one. Ash is back with star fleet. Tilly is going through it. Phillipa made an appearance, which I'm totally down with. And Michael is caught up in major family drama. Looking forward to seeing where everything ends up.

Whew! That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Mister Mysterious, a novella that brings a former couple together again to resolve their past.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Marlow Spence loses her sister to a sinister spellbinder who believes the siblings have the power to control dreams. When Tharn Oliver shows up on her doorstep, there can be only one reason—Leo Tolstoy is back and he wants Marlow.

And a preview snippet…

Her mouth dropped open. "You can't be serious? You're not staying here. No way." She got up and paced back and forth.

Tharn barely batted an eye. "Yes, I am." His tone indicated he'd be stubborn.

Marlow stopped and flung a hand out. "Why? Why would you want to?" Did he have masochistic tendencies she didn't know about?

Tharn closed his eyes. "Because I owe Charlotte. And you." His eyes popped open and he met her gaze. "Hell, I owe myself for not taking enough precautions to save your sister."

Marlow owned responsibility there. If she'd backed off and ignored wild chemistry they had, his mind would've been focused only on Charlotte. But … she hadn't and they paid a high price for their lack of attention.

She dropped down beside him. "I hate this." She waited a beat. "I hate you." Even though she still wanted to jump him.

Almost as if he'd read her mind, Tharn's lips quirked. "No, you don't. That's why it's hard." He angled toward her. "You want to hate me, but you don't. Because you're too much of a realist to lay all the blame at my feet."

And just like that, he'd nailed her to the wall.

She gave up trying to get rid of him. But she wouldn't make the same mistake she'd made three years ago.

Heaving a sigh, her shoulders slumped. "Damn you, Tharn. I'm not going to fall back into bed with you." The only indication she'd accept him sticking close by.

Tharn snorted. "Didn't ask you to. That's not why I'm here."

Right. Apparently he didn't have sex on the brain like she did. And she really shouldn't be pissed about that fact.

Getting her head on straight, she nodded. "Glad that's settled." Now she needed her fears confirmed, even if unofficially. "You got word through channels? I'm assuming they're deep and dark and way, way back." They had to be because she hadn't heard any kind of chatter. Not even a whisper.

Tharn grunted. "You assume correctly. And before you ask, no, I'm not sharing the sources. Suffice to say I trust them." His head dropped to the back of the cushion.

Marlow bit her cheek to keep from demanding answers. "Meaning I have to trust you, right?" She didn't have much choice and it didn't rest well with her.

Tharn gave her a sharp glance. "Bluntly? Doesn't matter if you do or don't. I will not fail you like I failed Charlotte. Believe me. Doubt me. I don't care. From this moment forward, nothing gets to you without going through me." He straightened and got up, heading to the wardrobe in the corner of the room.

Reaching in, he pulled out an extra throw and a pillow. He went to the front door and whispered an incantation then returned to the living room. The windows were warded next followed by the fireplace. He added a blanket spell to cover the French doors and patio. He made his way to the kitchen and stopped by the bath on his way back through, placing protective layers in each location.

Setting the sleeping items on the sofa, he lifted his chin. "You'll take care of the loft? I won't invade your personal sanctuary."

Rising, Marlow gave a nod. "I'll head up now and take care of it." She didn't say goodnight, her heart needing the separation of personal and professional.

But her mind eased with the knowledge she'd actually sleep more than a few hours for the first time in two weeks.

I love a good reunion with unresolved issues and Marlow definitely has major concerns with Tharn showing up on her doorstep.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment