Sunday, January 30, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Muddy Up the Waters

January kind of flew by for me and I'm not quite ready for February yet. That said, I did establish a few new habits or routines and I'm a little thrilled I kept them up for the entire month.

Had a very solid week of television viewing. I kind of let the housework slide to stay caught up on work projects and had a chance to cycle through a bunch of shows.

Ended up getting in three episodes of Chicago Med. I'm almost finished with the third season and I'm still thoroughly enjoying this show so much.

Watched three episodes of Snoopy in Space: The Search for Life. These little shorts are fun and quick to get through. Nice to have something that works as a timed break when it's needed.

Finished up The Madame Blanc bonus episodes and eagerly await another season of this super engaging mysteries series.

Ended up catching three episodes of Silent Witness. The "Fear" two-parter ended up being really terrific and I don't remember watching it before. Looking forward to the next two-part episode.

Enjoyed the final two episodes of the Classic Who arc with Two and Six. Kind of fun to revisit the former doctor, especially since many of Two's episodes are lost to time.

Got two more episodes of The Alaska Triangle in. One focused on a lost flight and the thunderbird legend and the other about Mount Hope and a possible secret base, which had remote viewing involved and that subject fascinates me.

Watched two more episodes of The Muppets. I'm still finding my way with this show. It's entertaining but really lacks the charm of the original.

Finished up Fosse Verdon. Even though I knew how things ended, I still felt like someone punched me in the gut when the final moments aired. Hat tip to the cast of this terrific limited series.

Caught the final episode of Peak Practice season six and started season seven. Sad to see Erica no longer with the practice but looking forward to some new interactions with whoever takes over for her.

Watched two more lessons of MasterClass with Bill Nye. I have a bonus episode to watch then I'll start a new class. No idea what I'll pick up next but look forward to diving in.

Enjoyed a couple of extras for The Witcher. Started out with the making of season two and then caught the characters of the continent special. This week I'll probably dive into the beasts and monsters they deal with.

Caught a couple episodes of Classic Rugrats. Season two ranks as probably my favorite overall. That might change as I get further along, but right now, I'm remembering how many of my faves are in the second season.

Watched another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. I like the new guy even if he's not quite as quirky as Breen. As always, it's fun to see recurring characters pop up in the course of the investigations.

Star Trek: Discovery continues to amaze me. I'm enjoying the red angel saga and how intertwined everything is. Nice to have Hugh back even if he's not quite himself. Should be fun to see how that plays out.

Started the second season of Queens of Mystery. I'm rather disappointed that Matilda and Daniel aren't anywhere close to being together. Miscommunication can be a blessing or a curse and I'm hoping it ends up being a blessing. We'll see how the season goes.

That's pretty much it for the television update this week. Tonight's post is from Muddy Up the Waters, a novella that stacks the odd against the characters even though they want to be together.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Fiona and Warrick can't quite get their timing together long enough to be on the same page when it comes to making a commitment. Instead they expend their energy on playing a game of who can hurt who the most … until one decides enough is enough.

And a preview snippet…

Warrick Lawton led Brigitt—no, Byrony—into his apartment above the fae council chambers. The old brick building had three fours and he lived on the top two. Perks of being the head of council.

Byrony's gaze darted around, taking in the living area and library. "Wow, nice space." A calculating gleam entered the flashing brown depths of her eyes.

No doubt she had some ideas on where she might put her stuff. He'd put a stop to any thoughts like that right away. He always did.

Warrick stepped in front of her, bringing her focus solely on him. "Don't do that. Don't plan ahead. This is a one-time thing." His hands grasped her shoulders. "I'm always honest about what I'm looking for and forever isn't it." He waited until she met his gaze. "If you want something more, I'm not game. The choice is yours." His hands dropped and he stepped back to give her room to make a decision.

Byrony gave him a slow, sultry smile. "I get it, Warrick. I'm sure I'm not the first or only woman who entertained a brief but bright wish she'd be the one to tame you." Her fingers went to the hem of her shirt. "I'll take what you're offering and walk away happy." She tugged the tee up and over her head.

If only another certain woman had taken what I offered and didn't walk away.  But, no, Fiona Freeman full-on rejected having a place at his side then fled the glade without a backward glance. Served him right … for thinking she'd want forever with him. Fiona didn't do forever.

And now, neither did he.

Dropping her shorts, Byrony arched a brow. "Planning to join me?" She grabbed his shirt and tugged him close.

He braced his hands on the wall behind her and lowered his head to snag her lips in a heated kiss. She moaned against his mouth and worked the button open and the zipper of his pants down then shoved them past his hips. Pressing her back against the paneled surface of the wall, she grasped his shoulders and wrapped her legs around his waist. He didn't hesitate, thrusting forward, going deep and grinding against her. Keeping one palm against the wall and the other cupping her ass, he nuzzled her throat.

She nipped at his ear, rocking her hips. "Not gonna last long, Warrick. I've wanted you too long." Her head lolled to one side and her breath came out in short, gasping pants.

Warrick gave a grunt of acknowledgment, focusing on getting her off. The least I can do considering she'll never have an opportunity for another round. And he'd take care of a basic need so he could convene the council without wanting to do bodily harm to the members.

Not exactly win-win, but he'd left that mindset behind the day Fiona left.

Warrick isn't really in a good space at the moment and he's going to get a big blast from the past in the near future.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment