Sunday, July 10, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Price Paid

Crazy week with projects finishing up and new ones starting. I love the variety of editing work I have right now.

Pretty decent week of television. I got caught up and back on my regular schedule for the most part. I have a few new recommendations and I have to decide if I'm going to work those shows into my weekly viewing calendar.

To start things off this week, I caught an episode of The Ready Room with a recap of season two, episode nine. This was such a great one. I always love when the interviewee is a huge fan of the franchise.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med. I'm a little disgusted by Nat's storyline even if I'm thrilled to bits that she kicked Philip to the curb. I'm so glad Maggie finally told the others what's going on with her. Nice to see Noah kind of stepping up and growing in his role as a resident. I love this show.

Enjoyed an episode of The Snoopy Show. I kind of like it when they let Snoopy act like a dog and enjoy things like head scratches. So much fun.

Caught the bonus episode of Signora Volpe with behind the scenes cast interviews. I'm hoping there will be another season of this show because I really love the characters.

Watched a well-done first-parter of Silent Witness. This arc is very twisty and turny. I have a solid idea of who the killer is and why they're trying to set up Nicki. Can't wait to find out if I'm right.

Enjoyed an episode of Classic Who. Ace is rather fun and I like how she handled the betrayal. This is another episode kind of set in the fifties and that always interests me because it was such a thing in the late seventies and early eighties.

Started season three (because there is no season two) of Most Terrifying Places in America. This one focused on haunted road trips and I liked the change in the format. I'll finish the series out before starting something new.

Finished the first season of The Mandalorian. I truly loved it! Now I have to decide if I'm going to dive right into the next season or start a new show and wait until it's closer to season three. Stay tuned.

Caught an episode of Harrow and, whoo boy, the walls are closing in. James is a big, fat liar—about everything. Nichols is completely in the know and it kind of breaks my heart because Harrow needs friends and he might have burned a bridge here. I still completely dislike the boss person even though they tried to soften her up by giving her a kid. Sorry, not buying it.

Watched an episode of Blue Heelers and loved it. A very young Sullivan Stapleton guest starred and the storyline rocked. Good stuff.

Enjoyed another MasterClass with Roxane Gay. She discussed the writing process in this lesson and I took away some good information.

Also caught two more episodes of Classic Rugrats and took another trip down memory lane. This show played such a huge role in my kids' childhoods. Makes me happy to reminisce.

That's pretty much it for this week's life update. Tonight's post is from Price Paid, a novella that explores the cost of a perceived betrayal and the weight of guilt between a couple who isn't supposed to be together.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Reva Bane's actions lead Mitch Vanderman to a lot of harm, but seeking atonement shouldn't cause so much pain. Then again, betrayal sometimes demands a price paid in blood, and Reva is willing to shed some if he'll finally forgive her.

And a preview snippet…

Reva ran to the bathroom and heaved, barely making it to the toilet. Alonzo followed along behind her, handing over a cold washcloth when she finished.

Reva wiped her mouth then turned and punched Alonzo in the face. "Get out. Right now." She pointed to the door. "And don't come back for at least a week."

Alonzo rubbed his jaw. "Barax isn't gonna like you going ghost."

Reva snarled an obscenity. "Barax can haul his ass here if he's got a problem with me." She pinned Alonzo with her gaze. "But be forewarned. He won't leave here alive if he decides to drop by. I'd be doing us all a favor and you know it."

Alonzo shrugged. "Not gonna argue. And he's not stupid enough to test your resolve. But … he can and will make everything in your life shit until one of you either dies or gives in."

Reva lifted her chin. "He already shit on the one good thing in my life." Her voice dropped to a whisper. "And there's no coming back from it." The utter hatred on Mitch's face would haunt her.

Probably forever.

Alonzo blinked, the truth finally hitting him. "Vanderman meant that much to you." His jaw flexed, but not from pain this time. "Shit, Reva. I didn't know. I really didn't."

Reva didn't want to talk about Mitch. "No, you didn't. And you still don't." She nodded toward the door again. "I won't ask a second time. Five second rule before I kick your ass out of my sanctuary. I don't give a flying fuck what you tell Barax or if you tell him anything at all." She exited the bathroom and went back to the window. "But if anyone shows up in the next seven days, no one will ever find their bodies." She shot him a sideways glance. "That includes you." As much as she counted on Alonzo, he'd let her down with this situation.

Alonzo held up his hands. "I got the message. Loud and clear." He paused at the door. "But if you need anything, reach out. You don't think so right now, but I do have your back." He moved forward again, his booted feet clomping down the steps.

Reva pressed her face against the cool glass. "Too little, too late." Tears spilled over her lashes and she dashed them away.

Crying wouldn't absolve her sin.

Only Mitch could do that.

And her gut said they weren't finished yet.

Reva has a hard road ahead and she'll be very careful with giving her trust to anyone—even after Alonzo vows to have her back.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment