Sunday, August 14, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Quest for the Kingfish

Had a crazy week with new projects sliding into my inbox and each of them is interesting and a little different for me. I love diving into new areas. I'm also trying to get ready for a vacation and it's a little daunting because I haven't traveled much recently.

Ended up getting a lot of television viewing in this week. I had a good handle on my work stuff and kept the shows going in the background.

I finished up the first season of Moon Knight and ended up enjoying the series overall. I wouldn't mind seeing more at all.

Also finished The Hardy Boys and I'm a little torn over how I feel about where everything ended up. On one side, there are so many possibilities for a third season. On the other, I'm struggling to buy-in to the whole swap at the end and a miraculous wish being granted that one of the characters had. I'll let both sit with me for a while and see how I feel if and when a third season comes around.

Watched an episode of Peak Practice and I kind of feel for Joanna. Also kind of wondering when Andrew will be back and if he'll still be as self-destructive as he always seems to be.

Caught two MasterClass lessons with Roxane Gay. The first one discussed writing about trauma and the second offered feedback for an essay. I thoroughly enjoy the way Roxane presents information.

Enjoyed two episodes of The Babysitters Club. Again, I'm so disappointed there won't be more to the story after this season ends. This is such a great show!

Watched another episode of The Ready Room. Anson Mount had some great moments during his interview. It's always fun when the actors are huge fans of the Trek 'verse.

Caught two more episodes of Driven. I have one left and I'm excited to see how this series ends. I have a lot of love for this one.

Ended up viewing two episodes of Chicago Med. I'm starting to feel the same way about April as I do about Natalie, which is disappointing. I realize both are leaving the series, but the dings to their characterizations don't seem fair.

Watched a two-part Batman: The Animated Series and forgot how much I liked the origin story of Clayface in this one.

Started Ted Lasso after a lot of pestering from my brother. I have the first two episodes watched and, so far, it's quite good. Everyone raves about the show so I'm confident I'll enjoy the whole thing.

Caught another of The Agatha Christie Hour. Really enjoyed this one. It was actually kind of campy and fun with a lot of mistaken identity and misadventure.

Watched a two-part Silent Witness and loved the twisty turns in the show. Ended up being surprised a couple of times by things I didn't expect.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Who. Wrapped up the second arc and should start a new one this week.

Caught another episode of Strangest Things. This one focused on relics that were supposed to help see the future.

Finished up season three of Harrow. Gotta say I ended up being very happy with the conclusion. I truly hope we'll see a season four, even with annoying boss lady.

Enjoyed another episode of Blue Heelers. This one had some interesting reveals with Adam, which is probably long overdue.

Watched two episodes of Classic Rugrats and finished out season three. I'll be starting season four this week.

Also caught another episode of The Brokenwood Mysteries. This one had a great mystery with some fun twists. I'm kind of hoping Gina is done pining for Mike but I somehow doubt she is.

That pretty much sums up the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Quest for the Kingfish, a novella that puts the characters on a bit of a treasure hunt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Stevie Peel is a little bit backward and standoffish, but she loves a good mystery. Griff Lannsiter takes an immediate liking to Stevie and when she finds an ancient scroll tucked into the dusty stacks of the research library, he offers his help on her quest to find the elusive Kingfish.

And a preview snippet…

Griff stopped outside Stevie's room, hesitating then knocking on her door.

A low groan greeted him from the other side.

Slightly concerned, he twisted the knob and poked his head inside. "Hey, you doing okay?" He'd fallen asleep listening for her return.

Her hair peeked out from under the sheet and one foot hung over the edge of the mattress. Everything else remained hidden under the light cover. He entered, keeping one arm hidden behind his back.

Her hand shot out and yanked the sheet down. "Do I smell something heavenly and caffeinated?" A low moan followed the rapid movement.

He grimaced inwardly. No doubt she ached in places she'd forgotten about … and not for a fun reason. Like a late-night frolic in bed.

Moving to the side of her bed, he held the steaming cup of coffee close to her face. "Your nose is discerning." He held out his free hand, offering her assistance.

She clasped his palm and wince when she sat up. "Ugh. Everything hurts." Taking the cup, she breathed in the tantalizing aroma of the freshly brewed wake-up call.

Griff dragged a chair over and plopped down. "I couldn't keep my eyes open after two. What time did you end up getting back?"

Her weary gaze met his. "Sometime after three. I literally fell into bed and wished for death." Taking a small sip of coffee, she closed her eyes. "Then I got over myself and figured a solid eight would set me back to rights." She glanced out the window. "Not quite one hundred percent, but it's what? Ten a.m.?"

He nodded. "There about. I hated to wake you, but I heard a rumor that Ziller is going to the annex around noon to check on your progress. Figured you wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction of not finding you there among the dusty tomes and moldering pages." He also didn't like how the board seemed to want Stevie to fail.

She took another long swallow of the liquid gold. "Right. Okay. Appreciate the heads-up." Moving slowly, she scooted to the edge of the mattress and swung her legs over. "Better grab a shower and get back to it." After standing, she leaned down and kissed his forehead. "Thank you."

Griff lifted his chin. "You're welcome. Plan on me bringing a late lunch. I doubt Ziller will stick around once he makes sure you're doing hard labor." He got up and returned the chair to its spot by her desk.

She brightened a little. "Going to push your luck again? If I didn't have somewhere to be, I'd drag you into the shower with me." Setting the cup down, she dragged her shirt over her head.

Griff flashed a smile. "My last name is all the luck I need. But I'll remember what you said about the shower … and remind you later." With a quick wave, he let himself out of her room.

He had some plans to make for their late lunch and maybe a favor or two to call in.

This story is so much fun. Stevie and Griff are a good balance for each other and I love writing them.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment