Sunday, August 28, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Quicksilver Flash

Whew. Finally recovered from our vacation and I'm back to work with multiple projects and a possible new venture in the near future. I'm super excited about it but still need to nail down some details and make some decisions on the setup.

As mentioned, I'm doing two weeks of catch-up on the life update and television viewing. While gone, I didn't watch a lot but I did get some screen time in.

I caught two more episodes of Strangest Things. I quite enjoy the approach the show takes in trying to solve the mystery of odd artifacts.

Started The Book of Boba Fett and watched two episodes. So far, I like what I'm seeing. It's a little hoppy with the back and forth of the timeline, but I'm following that without too much trouble.

I also started Only Murders in the Building and loved the first episode. I'm excited to see where the show goes.

Watched another MasterClass lesson with Roxane Gay. She did a writer's workshop and discussed finding common ground. Very interesting stuff with this lesson and I enjoyed.

Sobbed during the Babysitter's Club episode. I think I only have one left and I'm very sad there aren't going to be more. This is such a good show.

Finally had a chance to watch the Frankie Drake Mysteries special, "Music at Midnight" and I'm so glad I got to see it. This is another show I'm sad won't be coming back.

Caught another episode of The Ready Room. This one featured Michelle Paradise and recapped the penultimate episode of season two. Really fun interview.

I finished season three of Driven and loved the finale. I'm so glad Passionflix is starting a new series. They've done a great job so far.

Watched another episode of Chicago Med. I'm not sure but this might be my last season of the show. I enjoy it, but I might take a bit of a break.

Enjoyed another episode of Batman: The Animated Series. I love how the first season kind of explored a lot of different villains and they weren't always the big bads we've come to know and love.

Caught another episode of Ted Lasso. I'm three episodes in and I'm enjoying the show. It's a tiny bit campy and I like that aspect.

Watched another episode of The Agatha Christie Hour. Very interesting conflict in this one and fun to see an uber-young John Nettles as one of the stars.

Started a new two-part Silent Witness. I actually have no idea where this one is going and I kind of like that. I do suspect the old and new cases will converge in a nasty way. Per usual.

Began a new Classic Who arc. For some reason the Psychic Circus is sticking out in my mind but I don't think I've actually seen these episodes. I'll know more next week.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Quicksilver Flash, a story with a bit of a steampunk flair where the characters have to work together to solve the mystery of quicksilver flash.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Winsome Crown, a scientist's daughter, searches for her lost father in the wilds of the mountains. Lynx Hadrington lives alone and away from society—by choice. When Winsome stumbles onto his little piece of sanctuary, he can't deny her plea for help, but he fears the worst for her dad. Only one person has ever survived a brush with the quicksilver flash—him.

And a preview snippet…

Winsome woke up to the smell of something wonderful.

Stretching, she sat up and blinked, trying to remember what happened. A series of snapshots clicked in her brain. The cryptic letter from her dad. The breadcrumb clues she'd pieced together after he'd stopped sending updates. Then finally finding his guide only to have her hopes dashed again. And then … basically passing out from sheer exhaustion.

Struggling to sit up, she winced when her head pounded. "Dammit. I don't have time for this." Her gaze landed on the glass of water and pain killers. "At least he's thoughtful." Even if he absolutely didn't want her here.

Swiping the tablets, she washed them down and drained the contents. Easing to the edge of the bed—his bed, no doubt—she swung her feet over the edge of the mattress and tested standing up.

The room swam but she stayed upright. Okay, she got her feet under her. Now to try walking.

Taking a step forward, she wobbled a little, but kept going. With the glass in her hand, she made her way to the door and poked her head out into the living area. Finding the room empty, she carefully crossed to the kitchen and rinsed her glass out.

The smell coming from the stove had her stomach growling. Something bubbled in a pot and she leaned in closer to get a whiff of the savory aroma. Wavering on the cusp of being rude and helping herself or remembering her manners, she debated internally whether to reach for one of the bowls on the shelf.

A blast of cold when the door opened had her gaze going to the living area instead.

Lynx stomped his feet outside then entered, carrying a pile of logs. He dropped them into the box beside the door and shrugged out of his coat. After he hung it on the peg, he turned and his eyes widened.

Swiping a hand over his head, he removed his hat. "You're awake." He crossed to the counter. "Hungry?"

She gave a nod. "Yes. Very." Backing up, she gave him room to move in the small area. "Thank you for the painkillers. My head is pounding."

He grunted. "Food and water should help with that." He spooned thick broth with chunks of chicken and carrots into a bowl and handed it to her. "Take a seat. I'll bring some bread and more water."

She settled at the table and resisted the urge to dive in to the food. The steamy tendrils wafting upward gave ample warning she'd burn her tongue if she tried to eat right away. Her mouth watered with anticipation.

Lynx brought the items then went back to get a dish for himself. "How long has it been since you heard from your dad?" He broke the crusty loaf in two and placed one half by her bowl.

Her hand shook when she picked up her spoon. "Three months." She put the utensil down and picked up the bread. "I know something's wrong and I fear the worst." She had to decide how much to share with him.

Lynx frowned. "As you've experienced, the weather is unpredictable out there. He might not have been able to get word out to you." He broke off several pieces from his half of the loaf and sprinkled them over his stew.  

Winsome folded her hands in her lap. "The weather doesn't matter. You see, I can sense something is wrong." She held his gaze for a moment then looked away. "I'm linked telepathically with my dad."

I'm having so much fun with this story. I love making characters who don't want to be involved with each other get involved.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye 

No comments:

Post a Comment