Sunday, September 29, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Insanity Personified

What an end to the month. Our weather has been wet and drippy for most of the week. Not complaining because we needed the rain. Of course, the dreary stuff hits the week of our county fair, which is my husband's favorite time of year. Then again, a little water falling from the sky won't deter him from going or enjoying himself.

Work finally slowed down a little and I had some time to catch my breath. I have a new copy edit and proofread combo I'm working on and should have a new project starting this week. I'm also expecting more on the developmental edit I've been working on. And … a project I had a hand in is finally uploaded for proof … after almost four and half years of rewrites and revisions. I'm so excited!!

Had several really great conversations with my daughter this week. I love hearing her ideas of what she wants from the future. This young woman has a good head on her shoulders and I'm so proud of her. Graduate school is opening her mind and eyes and I'm excited to see what she does.

Not a bad week of viewing. The time to catch my breath also gave me a bit of freedom to catch up on my slate of shows. I made almost a full round this week!

Caught two behind-the-scenes vignettes for Signora Volpe. I always enjoy seeing and hearing how things work and what the actors think about their show.

Watched an episode of Death in Paradise and enjoyed it. This is one I hadn't seen before, and I loved the way the mystery played out.

Started a new season of Silent Witness. Very interesting premise and I'm looking forward to the conclusion next week. I'll be starting Beyond Paradise after I finish the new season.

Enjoyed an episode of Elementary. It's interesting to watch Sherlock serve as an AA sponsor. And I really like Watson kind of stepping out on her own to solve a cold case.

Finished up the second part of the season four premier of The Batman. Kind of forgot Batgirl didn't really feature in these opening episodes. I think she makes a return later in the season.

Also caught an episode of Classic Rugrats. I only remembered one of the vignettes, so I enjoyed seeing the other two.

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Insanity Personified, a novella that tests the connection between a couple after they suffer a personal loss.

Here's the miniblurb:

Karren Burnette and Vito Neilson work for a very specialized detective agency—one that tracks down preternatural beings that commit crimes. When Karren gets hit with a personal loss, her superior officer pulls her off the streets because she's taking too many chances with her life and everyone else's. Vito steps in to act as a buffer, which doesn't make Karren or their boss happy.

And a preview snippet…

Karren Burnette crouched over the body of her best friend, Lorie Scott. "I'm so sorry, Lorie. I didn't get here in time." Her hand curled into a fist. "But I will find your murderer. I promise on my life." She got up and dragged in a deep breath.
I will not cry. Not until I find the bastard who killed Lorie.
Footsteps on gravel had Karren slowly turning around. Vito Neilson entered the dead-end alley, his hands shoved deep in his pockets. Karren closed her eyes briefly then moved to block Vito's path.
She put up a hand. "You don't want to see her." Hell, Karren didn't want to have the image of her dead friend burned into her brain … but she didn't have a choice.
Lorie had reached out to Karren. Lorie confessed fear for her life, had begged Karren to meet at the neighborhood bar they all hung out at, and all but predicted her own murder.
Someone or something had a very bad, no-good, terrible day coming in the near future. Karren would make sure of it.
Vito narrowed his eyes. "Right. Like you didn't want to see Nico?" He bit the words out, but they hit their mark.
As he'd known they would. Nico Cua died in a fiery car crash coming to see Karren from the university he attended. They were two months away from getting married. Vito had been tapped as the best man and Lorie as the maid of honor. Back when Vito and Lorie had been an item … and Karren and Nico were engaged.
She stepped to the side. "Fine. Just remember how that turned out." Not well … at all.
Vito started forward but paused. "I need the closure. Just like you did." His voice went raspy and gruff.
Karren gave a nod … because she got it. The need to confirm reality no matter how much it sucked. And, damn, did it ever suck. Even though Vito and Lorie had been apart for more than two years, they'd stayed friends. They kind of didn't have a choice because Karren worked with Vito for a very specialized detective agency. One that dealt with preternatural beings that often preyed on the average joes of society.
Lorie hadn't been an average joe, but Karren would bet everything she held dear—including Vito—she'd been a victim of a being with otherworldly power.
And Karren would dive into the depths of hell to bring Lorie's killer to justice.

I just started this one and I'm having fun going a little dark and broody for the opening of the story.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment