It's so weird to be
almost halfway through the month already. Time is weird. Last week felt like it
dragged on forever but also had a lot of stuff jammed into it.
Weather ended up
being crazy with a tornado warning that thankfully went north and east of us
but did touch down in several places in our county. We've got more volatile weather
headed our way this week. Maybe. It makes me bonkers how not accurate the
weather reports are now.
Work projects ended
up being a little exhausting this week. I had a project that should have been
simple but spiraled into a bit of a mess. We finally got that one all figured
out, I think. I finished up a copy edit and started a new one. And I got to
dive into a new nonfiction book project that I'm excited about.
On a small side
note, I've been feeling the pull to get my side project launched and ready to
go. To that end, I'm working on some Halloween shorts that I hope to have ready
to go in October. Fingers crossed!
Had an okay viewing
week. I did make it through my regular list of shows and did more binge
watching of Death in Paradise and Beyond Paradise.
Thoroughly enjoyed an
episode of Marple. There were so many twists and turns but I loved the
ride.
Caught another
episode of Britain's Most Scenic Counties and continued the exploration
of Kent, which I'm enjoying a lot.
Watched the finale
for Beyond Paradise season four. So happy with everything. My frustration
with Anne turned out to be for naught. She really kicked everything on its
side. So glad Smith is not going to be around anymore. Truly loathed that guy.
Thrilled to bits that Esther and Archie are giving things a go and that Kelby
has a sweetheart. I cried when Zoey left on her adventure, but I loved her maps
bringing Esther and Archie together.
The Orient Express
episode of Poirot hit weird for me. Such a stellar cast but things felt
a little off and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the ending, which is quite
probably by design. I think visually filmed plays out differently than the
visual that reading creates. I don't know.
Elementary had another interesting episode and I'm wondering
how the escalation is going to go with Sherlock's meeting guy. Very glad the
captain and Detective Bell are aware of what's going on with Sherlock's concussion
situation.
Caught an episode
of Young Justice that I vaguely remember watching during the show's run
on television. With so much going on with three different story points, I
actually enjoyed the action.
Watched another
episode of Star Trek Lower Decks and, once again, thoroughly enjoyed the
antics of the crew. A lot of fun seeing them confront past issues on Starbase
80.
That's pretty much
it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Think Twice, a
novella that brings a couple with super skills together.
Here's the
miniblurb:
When Judd Millian asks Pru Watson to work with him to
take out the evil invading their city, she doesn't hesitate to say yes. But
when he wants something more, she's reluctant, unable to commit to an answer.
The indecision drives a wedge between them, but Pru won't let Judd get sucked
into the worst part of her past.
And a preview snippet…
Pru had no idea if deciding to
follow Judd Millian would be great or tragic. But she couldn't resist the draw
of meeting someone like her.
She grinned when she followed Judd
down the spiral staircase from the rooftop. "This whole floor is
yours?" The cavernous space had designated areas for living, eating,
sleeping, and … conducting experiments?
Her gut roiled. Stainless steel
cabinets and tables. Microscopes, glass slides, petri dishes. Her mind flashed
back to waking up surrounded by those exact same items.
Judd tracked her gaze and held his
hands up. "I should've said something. You don't have to go near my lab. I
use it to monitor myself by comparing stats with the baseline I took right
after I got away from the compound." He moved ahead and pulled a heavy
curtain that hung from a wire frame around the equipment.
Pru's eyes widened. "You can
do that?" She wondered if she should consider doing something similar.
But … she really hated being near
the scientific gear.
Judd shrugged. "I can do basic
stuff. Mostly I keep a data set of vitals and any changes that I notice. No
idea what I'll do with the information, but it gives the illusion of
controlling my fate." He huffed out a breath.
Pru tilted her head. "You
think it's an illusion? I'm not sure I agree. If you're free from the compound,
you have the control." Then again, she looked over her shoulder a lot.
Judd grunted. "For now. Who
knows what'll happen in the future. I mean, I'm keeping the data logs in case
something happens to me. Might come in useful if there are others…" He
nodded in her direction. "And there seems to be."
She couldn't argue with that
factoid. And she didn't say anything because she needed time to wrap her head
around everything.
An awkward silence filled the space
between them, but Judd managed to smooth the rough edges by moving over to his
living area.
He turned toward her. "Would
you like something to drink … um … what should I call you?" His brows
arched.
She pressed her lips together,
hesitating for a moment. Trust didn't come easily to her. But … he'd been open
with her so far.
Squaring her shoulders, she gave an
answer. "Pru. My name is Pru." She moved a little closer to him.
Judd thrust his palm forward.
"It's nice to meet you, Pru. What can I get you to drink?" He opened
his fridge and swept his hand over the options.
She asked for a beer and followed
him to the sofa, settling in one corner. Judd kicked back at the other end,
propping his feet up onto the coffee table. His phone pinged and he dug it out
of a side pocket in his black cargo pants. After swiping and keying in his pin,
he checked his notifications and pulled up a text message.
His lips twisted. "My CO is a
mother hen, checking to make sure I made it home. Also wanted to know if I got
a lead on our helper aka you." He thumbed a reply. "Told him I'm
tucked in for the night and missed catching up with our talented
assistant." He slid his gaze sideways. "I figured you might not like
having your privacy invaded just yet."
Pru blinked, caught off guard.
"Yet?" She didn't want her fragile peace invaded at all.
Which sucked on multiple levels.
Being alone all the time took a toll. And Judd fascinated her … which could be
very dangerous. She'd let a pretty face turn her head once before and it ended
badly. That's how I became a lab rat.
Judd set his beer down and popped
off with a wild question. "Yeah. Crazy idea, but would you be willing to
help me get rid of the evil invading our city?"
Wow. Not at all what she expected.
And she didn't know how to answer.
She rolled a shoulder. "It's
not my city. I'm not a native." She had no idea how she'd ended up in the
city.
Judd frowned. "Then why are
you here?"
She huffed out a breath. "Good
question. I woke up in a lab with a newfound ability to repel things." Her
voice dropped to a whisper. "And I can't leave until I find out why."
I'm very happy with
where this story is going. Pru has a long road to travel and Judd will help her
along the way.
That's it for this
week.
Cheers!
Skye
No comments:
Post a Comment