Whew. It's been a
very long week. A slow leak in one of my tires means I've been filling with a
portable device every other day or so. Add in the oven going out on our stove
and scrambling to find another one on top of the tire issue. We did get the
range replaced and hope to have the tire situation under control this week.
Bleh.
Weird weather again.
Storms and some back and forth temperatures. I really hope we don't pay for the
somewhat mild temperatures by having a super-hot October and November. Would
also love to not have flooding from the rain. We've been very lucky so far.
Work projects were gnarly
again. Started a new copy edit that, well, went okay as far as the copy edit
part is concerned. The story? All over the place. I don't have to be the target
audience for the manuscripts I edit, but whew! I struggled with this one
because I had a hard time following the plot, which I don't run into very often
at the copy-editing stage. I'm also working on a manuscript evaluation and that
is going pretty well. I'm very interested in the subject matter, which always
helps.
I made a little progress
on getting my side project ready to go. Hopefully, I'll be able to do more this
week. I'm kind of excited to see if I can make this happen before the end of
the year.
Had a terrible
viewing week. The copy edit needed a lot of my focus, which isn't a bad thing.
I made it almost halfway through my usual shows.
Started with Marple
and enjoyed the mystery. Very fun to have two Janes in the story. Also enjoyed getting
a glimpse of nostalgia with Miss Marple and her childhood.
Watched another episode
of Britain's Most Scenic Counties and learned more new things about
Kent. I'd love to visit someday.
Caught the season
two premiere of Return to Paradise and quite enjoyed being back in Dolphin
Cove. Loved having Jack Mooney make an appearance again and having him kind of
give Mackenzie a fatherly type of tough love. She does need to sort things out
with her past before heading back to London … if she heads back.
Started an episode
of Poirot but didn't get it finished. I'll pick it back up this week. I
hope.
That's it for the
life update this week. Tonight's post is from This Is Your Life, a
novella that takes some twists and turns.
Here's the
miniblurb:
After a harrowing month of captivity in a rival faction's
territory, Welch Harrinson can't seem to find his will to remember the past.
Rina Lewes won't give up on Welch getting his memory back … even if she has to lose
him in the process.
And a preview snippet…
"Hey, thanks for having our
back out there."
Jack and Owen gave nods and both
men glanced toward the house where they'd helped deposit Welch after the trying
night in the field.
Owen's mouth thinned to a slash
across his face. "You gonna be okay with him tonight?"
Rina exhaled slowly. "Yeah.
He's got the hunter skill set back and has been doing well when he's scheduled
to work." Her stomach twisted. "The headache and temper flare are
side effects from the treatment Wiggam has been administering." She
side-eyed her team. "That's gonna stop right now."
Jack grunted. "You sure? He's
not fully back yet."
Rina lifted her chin. "I'm
sure." She waved her phone back and forth. "Already called Wiggam and
he's on the way over." Didn't make her decision any easier, but nothing
would.
Owen clasped her shoulder. "We'll
leave a light on. Spare room is yours whenever you're ready." His fingers
squeezed gently before letting her go.
Rina nodded. She couldn't do
anything else. She motioned for the men to head out. The weight of making a
choice rested heavily on her heart. But she didn't question what she had to do.
The rustle of leaves from the side
yard drew her attention. Wiggam emerged from the line of trees bordering the
property. She had to break the news they couldn't go further with Welch's
treatment.
Wiggam met her gaze with his steady
one. "Is he okay?"
Rina shrugged. "He's sleeping,
so for now, he's fine." She straightened her shoulders. "But it got
hairy out there tonight. He started exhibiting symptoms of an overdose. The
ones you told me to watch for. Headache and bouts of temper." She started
up the steps to the porch. "Until then, he acted like his old self. He's
got the hunter instinct again."
Wiggam followed her into the house.
"That means another round of the powder could kill him." He quietly
closed the door and glanced toward the bedroom.
Rina huffed out a breath.
"Yeah. That's what I figured." She crossed into the kitchen and
pulled out the makings for coffee. "But he knows you now, which is good."
Even if she hated to admit that fact. "But … he still doesn't remember me
or our past." And now he never would.
Wiggam arched his brows.
"Look, can I suggest you work with Welch as he is?"
Rina snorted. "Been doing that
since I found him." She dumped grounds into the filter and started the
coffeemaker. "And I can't anymore. He's noticing other women and flat-out
told me he wants to play the field and has a date tomorrow night." She
angled around and propped her hip against the counter, crossing her arms over
her chest.
Not that it helped ease the ache.
Wiggam frowned. "I'm sorry. I
hope you believe that." He raked a hand through his hair.
Rina rolled a shoulder. "It
doesn't matter what I believe. I said I'd risk anything, and I did. I also
lost, but that's not your concern." She swallowed past the lump in her
throat. "Welch is where you need to focus. He still needs someone to help
him over the rough patches and that's gotta be you." The ache grew
stronger and spread upward to her throat.
Wiggam gave a nod. "I'll be
there for him."
Rina swallowed hard and lifted her
chin. "Thanks for working with me. I'll be packed and out the door within
twenty-four hours." She planned to travel lightly and not bring anything
that would remind her of Welch.
Wiggam narrowed his gaze.
"Where will you go? The house is yours."
She let out a watery laugh and shook
her head. "Not anymore." Her sanctuary had become a prison of
memories. "Jack and Owen have space. I'll stay there for now, at least
until I figure out where I want to live." Maybe she would go full crone
and find a large cave to call home.
Wiggam sighed. "It's not
right. But I understand why you don't want to stay here." He turned to
open the door. "If you need … well, never mind. Let me know when you leave,
and I'll come over to check in with Welch." He lifted a hand in farewell
and quietly left the house.
Rina blew out a long breath. She
appreciated Wiggam not getting sentimental and not telling her he told her so.
Because she wouldn't know what to do if he went all soft and squishy on her
right now.
I'm kind of happy
with how this one is coming together. The story took a weird turn and I just
ran with it.
That's it for this
week.
Cheers!
Skye
No comments:
Post a Comment