Sunday, May 8, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Only When They Blink

What a crazy week of weather. We had rain, rain, rain, which is probably great for the gardens—as long as the plants are hardy. We also had some close to freezing temps in the wee hours of the morning.

Another super-busy work week. Started a few new projects and I'm humming along on some others. I like having a variety of work and I definitely have that right now.

Another slower week for television. I got started again on doing some clearing out and sorting of stuff I've put off way too long. The good news is I've discovered a ton of missing socks, which makes me very happy.

I watched the second episode of Harrow's third season. So far, I really, really dislike the new boss. But … I kind of love the dynamic between Harrow and Fairley. Discovering Grace is married is something I'm on the fence with, but we'll see what happens there.

Caught another episode of Blue Heelers. I'm a little disappointed to find out I won't be able to watch the bulk of the series now. It seems to have been removed from the streaming service I've been watching it on. Maybe it'll pop back up again. I still have the season to finish then I'll see what happens.

Enjoyed another lesson of MasterClass with Neil deGrasse Tyson. This one talked about systems of beliefs.

Finished up Young Wallander: Killer's Shadow and it did not disappoint. I hope there's another season of this show.

Watched two episodes of Classic Rugrats. I enjoy having this show on in the background when I'm reading emails.

Caught an episode of Chicago Med and, wow, I'm starting to wonder a little if this is Conor's last season. Things seem to be ramping up quickly.

Enjoyed another episode of The Snoopy Show. This one had a bunch of spring-like vignettes.

Watched another episode of Loch Ness and there didn't seem to be a lot of forward momentum on the case, but little revelations popped up and into the storyline. I'm excited for the next episode.

Finished up the second part of Silent Witness. I'm kind of happy Thomas didn't do something sketchy with the information he had on the ex's new boyfriend. Even though she pretty much deserves anything he hands out. She's a piece of work.

Managed to finish an arc of Classic Who. I'll be starting a new one this week. I'm still on the fence with Mel as a companion. She does a lot of screaming.

Also watched the last episode of The Laundry Guy. I actually hope he does another round of episodes. I thoroughly enjoyed the six available.

Watched the Marvel Assembled: The Making of Hawkeye. Honestly, I really loved the first season and I'm kind of hoping there will be another, even if it's primarily Clint-free. Some great groundwork is out there if they continue this.

Started a new episode of The Hardy Boys. I love the mystery of this season and I can't wait to finish this episode.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Only When They Blink, a novella that puts a bit of a spin on The Princess and the Pea.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Hale Easterson has fae blood running in his veins, but he won't follow the family old school traditions and mate by the designated age. He escapes to his private lake house to find an unconscious Winter Sorn, a beautiful woman, sprawled on his doorstep and realizes he may not be able to avoid what destiny has in store.

And a preview snippet…

Winter Sorn lifted her chin in defiance. "I told you if you wanted me to continue reading people, I needed to speak with your boss." She glanced around the nearly empty room, strewn with bar stools, a battered old counter, and empty liquor bottles—her prison for the last ninety days. "Since he's not here, you can forget about any more help from me." She'd been cooperative for three months … that ended now.

Even confined, she'd heard her keepers talking about the elimination of disloyal subjects and the bodily harm to numerous others. Because of her unwillingly provided information. The knowledge rested heavy in her heart.

One of her captors—the semi-intelligent one named Martin—shook his head. "You'll regret that. Boss Man calls the shots … not you." He got up and edged his way in her direction. "No need to keep you around if you're not gonna play by the rules."

The second captor, Butchie, smirked. "She'll fall in. Haven't met a female yet who didn't cave when her beauty is threatened." His fist hit the palm of his hand. "I'm real good at bringing on the ugly."

Winter didn't flinch even though Butchie spoke the truth. He liked to damage things, especially people. Winter wouldn't contribute to helping him harm anyone else.

Martin reached her side. "You're going out to the bar floor in five minutes and you will point out anyone who isn't being loyal to the boss. That's how this works. When he's ready to meet you, we'll let you know." His fingers grabbed her hair and yanked hard, pulling her head back. "You don't wanna push your luck."

Winter winced when he tugged harder. "Too bad. I'm pushing." She struggled to get free. "I'm not going out there."

Martin's gaze flicked to Butchie. A sneer spread across the beefy man's face. Martin let go of her hair but the relief didn't last long.

Butchie's meaty fist came flying toward her from the right and connected with her chin. Her head snapped back and hit the edge of the bar. Stars exploded behind her eyes and she crumpled to the floor.

She blinked from the pain but also welcomed the discomfort. At least she wouldn't have to use her ability for being able to read a person's intentions to help a nameless, faceless figure anymore. After three months of being held against her will, any momentum in a different direction counted as progress—even if it hurt like hell.

When two sets of booted feet started kicking at her back and torso, she curled inward, trying to protect herself from the onslaught. She'd already decided to make this her last stand. If she ended up dead, so be it.

She would absolutely give her life to never have another death on her head. Or blood on her hands.

Struggling to stay conscious, she repeated the mantra that spurred her resolve to go down this path.

"Seven lives lost, not one more. Unless it's me knocking on death's door."

Losing the battle to protect herself, she succumbed to the blessed darkness pulling her into the ether.

Winter isn't going to like what comes next, but it does get her out of the back room she's been in.

That's it for this week.


 

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment