Sunday, May 1, 2022

Sunday Snippet: One of These Things

Well, hello May. I'm not quite sure where April went but it's nice to have a nice shiny new month to get started.

Had a very busy work week with lots of movement on my projects. I'm finalizing a few and getting ready to start new ones. I love having a full calendar!

Kind of a slow week for television. The weather got a little nicer and I tried to take advantage of getting outside for a while.

I watched an episode of Peak Practice and it ended up being really good. I think there might end up being a new doctor coming to the practice, which will make things interesting.

Caught another MasterClass with Neil deGrasse Tyson. He spoke of cultural bias and I ended up getting a lot out of the lesson.

Got another episode of Young Wallander: Killer's Shadow in and pieces started falling into place. I loved the reveal at the end of the episode and can't wait to see what happens next. I have a feeling Kurt is going to be on the hot seat through no fault of his own this time.

Enjoyed another episode of The Ready Room. Anthony Rapp is such a fun interviewee to watch and he offered up some great insight into his character.

Watched another episode of Chicago Med and found it kind of interesting. I really love how the episode title tends to be a through line for the whole episode.

Caught another episode of The Snoopy Show and enjoyed it. The three or four vignettes are a lot of fun.

Got another episode of Cuffs in and should be close to the final episode of the season. I'm kind of interested to where they end up leaving things for the characters.

Started season eighteen of Silent Witness and ended up loving it. There's a bit of a different vibe this season and I like how the characters are interacting. I can safely say I really don't like Thomas's wife and I'm kind of hoping there's not going to be a lot of his personal drama. That said, I totally get his concern for his daughter.

Watched another episode of Classic Who and I'm liking how this arc is moving along. Even though the budget for Seven's turn as the Doctor is kind of lacking, the actors do a darn good job with what they have.

Enjoyed another episode of The Laundry Guy. I'm truly hoping there will be more episodes of this show. If not, I guess I can scour YouTube to see if there's anything else with Patric.

Last but not least, I watched the finale of Hawkeye. Really happy with how the season ended. I loved the three-way conclusions and the intermingling with the LARPers. I so hope there will be more of them if another season ends up happening.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from One of These Things, a novella that loosely retells the ugly duckling story.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tanis Watts comes of age in the human world, but discovers she has fae abilities. When she's caught between warring factions, she falls in with the wrong side and barely escapes with her life. Seeking sanctuary, she lands on Falco Corsair's doorstep and runs headfirst into her destiny.

And a preview snippet…

Still glistening from their last round of sex, Calia sat with an unfocused gaze. "Someone from the Black will join the White and become a powerful force. Falco Corsair will be their guide and walk the path of fate's hand." She blinked and tilted her head to one side. "That was different. Usually I see things in you from your subconscious. This is a message directly from the universe." She slipped from the bed and shrugged into a diaphanous robe.

Falco shook his head. "I'm calling bullshit." He rolled off the bed and went to grab his pants from the living room. "No way. I'd never join forces with someone from the Black. My ancestors would spin in their graves." He jammed his feet into the legs. "Or rise up and seek retribution in the form of his head on a platter." He yanked the waistband up over his ass and tried to wrap his head around her prediction.

Calia hand-waved his concern. "Heed my words. The day will come." She placed a hand on his chest. "Our time together is very short, possibly at an end." A sad note crept into her voice.

Falco caught her fingers, giving them a squeeze. "I won't leave you hanging, Calia. Not while you still need me." Giving aid to others formed a basic tenet in his bloodline. "And I'll never willingly align with someone I can't trust." And he couldn't imagine putting his faith in someone on the opposing side.

She eased away from him. "You're taking the message too literally, Falco. Don't negate my gift because you don't like what it says." Moving to the bed, she stripped the sheets off and dropped them by the laundry bin.

Her jerky movements spoke louder than her tone. He'd hurt her and the kick of remorse hit him squarely in the chest. She didn't deserve his skepticism or his doubt.

Crossing the floor, he grasped her shoulders from behind. "I'm sorry. I'm being a dick and you don't need that right now." Especially when staying calm and happy helped maintain her balance.

Calia leaned against him. "You're right. I don't." Turning to face him, she met his gaze. "But I do understand. You've been at loose ends for a while now—even though you're busier than ever—and you've felt the shift. You know something is coming."

Falco sighed. "I'm going to be at the center of it, aren't I?" So much getting out ahead of things.

Calia gave a slight shrug. "That one I can't answer, but I can say you're going to be following the path intended for you. The journey will be easier if you don't fight the current." Wrapping her arms around him, she rested her forehead against his chest. "That's not easy for you; you question everything. Please try to remember my advice, because you'll need to be strong and steady."

He gave her a solid hug then stepped away. "Can't promise anything, but I'll do my best." He strode toward the living room and grabbed his jacket. "Usual time in two weeks?" Zipping the coat, he arched a brow.

She gave a small nod. "I'll be here."

Falco made it halfway home before he realized she'd said here instead of ready. A small change to their usual farewell, but one that boded something different on the horizon.

The idea didn't sit well in his mind.

Calia's small change to their farewell is definitely an omen, even if Falco isn't quite ready to accept it.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment