Had a fun time at
my high school reunion on Saturday … even though it was very hot and super
humid. Got to see people I haven't seen in absolute ages. So nice to catch up
with everyone.
Weather has been a
little wild. Big temperature swings again. We've also had some rumbling
thunderstorms with interesting lightning. We're supposed to have a very rainy
week with more storms rolling through so that should be fun.
Had a busy work
week with a few projects coming in for final touches and should be getting
close to the finish line. Made more progress on the developmental edit I've
been working on and might be close to finishing that one up also. Finished up a
proofread and started a new copy edit. Not a bad week.
Made it through my
usual slate of shows so had a good viewing week also. I even got to finish up
one of my backburner shows. I'll be starting a new series this week and I'm looking
forward to picking one out. I also did another Death in Paradise binge
on Sunday.
Caught an episode
of Marple and rather enjoyed the twists and turns. It was kind of fun to
have the show set during the holiday season but not be overtly holidayish.
Finished up Ireland
Coast and Country. Enjoyed the dip into some of the country's locations and
remarkable scenery.
Started season four
of Beyond Paradise. Fun episode setting up a big quandary for Humphrey.
I'm kind of excited to see what hijinks Humph and Martha get into with
renovating their new house. Very happy to be revisiting Shipton Abbot.
Caught another
episode of Poirot and actually enjoyed seeing him in a very different
setting. The mystery had some interesting twists and I liked that.
Elementary ended on a concerning note and I'm glad I
can drop right into the next season without a long wait. Happy to have the
Shinwell murder resolved, and I'm truly thrilled that Moriarty isn't the mystery
woman, even though her identity makes me sad.
Watched another
episode of Young Justice and enjoyed watching the team come together even
when they were on the outs.
Finished up season
four of Star Trek Lower Decks and, seriously, I'm going to miss this
show so much. I loved everything about this finale … except one thing. Losing a
team member sucked but at least there's a chance she'll return.
Also finished up an
episode of Peak Practice. It ended up being a pretty good one but had a
lot going on. So happy Tom finally owned his feelings!
That's the life
update this week. Tonight's post is from Storm Down the Drain, a novella
with a bit of suspense with the romance.
Here's the
miniblurb:
On a dark and stormy night, Brooks Algonquin knocks on
Velvet Strong's door and asks her to help him find the Burmesian Raven, an
antiquity with magical qualities. Velvet takes his case, but quickly learns
Brooks has ulterior motives for acquiring the artifact stolen from his family.
And a preview snippet…
Velvet's appearance bowled Brooks
over when she entered the bistro.
Brooks bit back a groan of raw need.
"She's absolutely perfect." And she dressed to draw attention.
Just shy of tartish without going
over the top, her makeup showed a woman who didn't mind getting noticed. Nothing
demure or sweet, but oh so elegant. She made a statement in the lilac dress
that stopped just shy of her knees and the purple heels that made her hips sway
when she walked. She'd piled half of her blonde tresses on top of her head, and
his fingers itched to remove the pins and plunge through the silky strands. And
the white stole and silver clutch added a bit of airy shine to the whole
package. Yeah … she created a bombshell vision.
Velvet sauntered to the bar and
ordered a drink. The bartender took his time backing up to get the ingredients.
He placed the small tumbler on a napkin in front of Velvet.
Brooks placed a large bill on the
counter. "The lady's drinks are on me." He enjoyed this role-playing
thing.
Velvet gave him a sultry smile.
"Why should I let you pick up my tab?" She added just a touch of
huskiness to her tone.
Brooks held her gaze. "Because
you're a beautiful slice of heaven I needed to see after a hellish day." He
turned to face her at the bar.
Her mouth twisted in a coquettish
curve, and she ducked her head a little. "In that case, happy to be of
service." Her lips wrapped around the short straw and drew the amber
liquid up through the opening. "And thank you."
Brooks reached forward, tracing a
random pattern on the back of her hands. "Would you have dinner with me?"
He nodded toward a smoky corner of the bistro.
Her eyes widened a little. He'd
gone off script with the invitation to dine with him. But the moment called for
something secluded where they could converse.
Velvet leaned in close, placing her
palm on his thigh. "I think I'd like that very much." She slid off
the barstool and snagged her drink.
Brooks led the way to a table for
two tucked in a corner surrounded by leafy potted plants. He held her chair out
until she got settled then found his own seat across from her. They didn't have
a moment to converse before a server arrived.
Brooks ordered an intimate meal,
which they made banal small talk over. By the time they finished, the trio of
musicians had arrived and started their first set. Brooks asked if she'd like
to dance.
Velvet gave a nod and he stood,
holding his hand out. She clasped his fingers and smoothly followed him to the
center of the small squared-off area close to the dais. She played her part as
a woman on the brink of falling for him so well.
The night took on a magical
quality. Brooks couldn't remember the last time he'd enjoyed himself as much.
They might be creating a fiction where Velvet would become his mistress, but
Brooks almost wished it were a fact. He could easily envision swaying with her
on a nightly basis.
Her body molded to his as they
traversed the floor to the beat of the music. Her alluring curves sent his
imagination into overdrive. He could picture her naked, writhing underneath him
while he drove into over and over. His cock throbbed and she noticed, giving
her hips a twist against his groin.
Brooks put his mouth close to her
ear. "Before things get out of hand, we should probably make our
exit…" His hand moved lower on her back. "You're playing with fire,
Ms. Strong."
He got a kick of gratification when
she shuddered in his arms before they left the bistro.
I love writing with
a flair of noir and this one is a lot of fun. Brooks and Velvet will definitely
heat things up.
That's it for this
week.
Cheers!
Skye
No comments:
Post a Comment