Sunday, August 30, 2026

Sunday Snippet: Tantalizing Yule (a Holiday Spirit novella)

Bleh. It's been a week of frustration, and I can't really explain why. I hate it when I feel like everything is either standing in my way or that I'm stuck in reverse with zero forward momentum. Maybe August has just been a bit of a rough month even when there were fun things happening. Who knows?

Not a terrible weather week. The temperatures were fairly mild for August. I'll enjoy that while I can because it's supposed to heat up again this week.

I was supposed to head out for an annual get together with my cousins but ended up not being able to go because I didn't feel well at all. And next year I do believe I have a wedding on the weekend we usually get together so I'll be sending pictures from the ceremony to my fam!

Work projects kept me busy again. I finished up a copy edit and started a proofread. I also finally got all the images stripped from the developmental manuscript. Whew! There were a lot of them. I also scheduled a call with a potential new author and I'm excited to see where that goes.

Had an okay viewing week. I made it through all of my regular shows and binged Death in Paradise and Beyond Paradise again. They're my comfort go-to shows at the moment. I also spend some time watching a documentary about Dolly Parton to help ease the sting of losing the wonderful light she spread around the world.

Started with Marple again and I really do enjoy this version of the show. It was interesting to have something of a different narrator for the episode. The mystery ended up being twisty as usual.

Began a new series with Britain's Most Scenic Counties and visited Kent. I think there are several more episodes in that county, and I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Watched another episode of Beyond Paradise. I love Martha and Esther's friendship. They're so much fun. I'm very interested in where things go with Anne and her cryptic mention of the delicate situation with Mr. Smith. I have a great fear she might be dating him and that will suck majorly. I do love that Humphrey basically unloaded about the situation. Looking forward to a resolution about that. Also … Kelby blasted Margo kind of broke my heart but kudos to him for standing up for himself.

Enjoyed another Poirot episode. The mystery ended up being super twisty and I love how Poirot got very emotional during the reveal. Betrayal never sits well but it really stabs hard when it happens to Hercule.

Elementary had another great episode. I'm really wondering what's going to happen when Sherlock realizes his support person is a murderer. Or maybe it'll be a big twist, and he won't end up being a murderer. Either way, I'm very interested in what happens next.

Watched another episode of Young Justice, and I don't remember any of this one. A truly gut-wrenching watch. Loved the little bits of random characters popping up!

Caught another episode of Star Trek Lower Decks and I'm going to miss this show when I'm done. I seriously didn't know if I liked the show in the first season and now I'd pretty much die for these characters if needed. Ther really should be more seasons for me to enjoy.

As mentioned, I watched the beginning of a documentary about Dolly, and I hope to finish it this week … unless it's been taken down. I also watched quite a few music videos. What an amazing woman.

That's it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Tantalizing Yule, a holiday spirit sexy short.

Here's the miniblurb:

During the Yule season, Ginger Radiance, a holiday spirit, has to get Regina Royal, a sexy sprite, under the same roof with Fakhir Frenum, a studly spook. The two have a clash of wills, creating a massive snowstorm that leaves them stranded … plenty of time to let the holiday work its magick on the wary enemies.

And a preview snippet…

The thumping bass line pounded along the edge of Fakhir Frenum's skull. He manned his post—the back door to the Pleasure Palace—a preternatural hangout catering to the young and stupid. And so often … the two ended up being a toxic cocktail of annoyance and frustration.
Fakhir sighed. "Man, I've been doing this too long." Being a bouncer didn't rate high on his list of life achievements.
But, damn, the job paid well. Helped that Fakhir fit the mold. Big, beefy muscles and a grumpy countenance. Not all spooks had the right attitude for keeping order in the chaos of the Pleasure Palace. But all spooks looked incredible, which made them eye candy for many.
But the sprites were the worst.
Fun-loving creatures out for nothing but the best time always rubbed Fakhir the wrong way. And so often they didn't take no for an answer. Out of all the fae creatures, sprites were notorious for stirring shit up and leaving the mess for anyone else to clean up.
He grimaced. "Pretty much goes with the territory." But mopping up after a group of the spirited imps gave him the worst headache.
The back door opened and Fakhir blocked the couple trying to sneak in. "Exit only unless you're paid up." He held his hands up, barring their passage.
The male—a goblin with a reputation for not paying the cover charge—postured, trying to act tough. "We paid at the front. Just came out for some hot action." His hand slid over the female's ass.
Fakhir rolled his eyes. "Where's your stamp?" Anyone that left and planned to return had to get an ultraviolet mark. "And it better not be on your dick because I'm not in the mood to strip search you." But he would … and the goblin would regret trying Fakhir's patience.
The couple exchanged a glance and the man whispered something in the woman's ear.
She laughed lightly and batted her eyelashes. "Look, we're a little short on cash." She pitched her voice lower. "Can we maybe work out a payment arrangement?" A sexy trill vibrated around them.
Fakhir sighed when her tone shifted. Figured he'd have to deal with a siren trying to use her call. Too bad he'd learned how to block the temptresses long ago.
Her fingers traced his bicep. "I'm very skilled." She added some seduction to her voice waves. "I'd bet I can get you off in under five minutes." Her made a breathy sound that ended on a purr.
Fakhir quirked an eyebrow. "Then what would be the point? If you're gonna offer up sex, at least try to make it worth the fee to get in." He snorted.
She gasped, clearly insulted.
The guy jabbed a finger in Fakhir's chest and all but snarled his displeasure. "Now just a damned minute. I think you owe—"
Fakhir cut him off. "Don't bother asking. I won't apologize. Check your priorities, man." Frankly, the siren should demand satisfaction from her guy. "Chalk this up to a lesson learned and maybe try not to get your woman to offer payment in trade, especially this close to Yule." And maybe rethink a five-minute blow job.
He nudged them away from the door and pulled it shut then resumed his post. "Fuck, I need a new job." Or one that let him use his other skills instead of being a hot bouncer.
The Palace's owner's words, not Fakhir's opinion of himself. Manfred Mayhew catered to the brash, brazen, and beautiful crowd. He wanted his employees to tempt paying customers to the gilded cage. And he got them in large quantities.
He frowned at the memory of being propositioned. "Geez, sirens. They always think sex is the way to get what they want." Okay, sirens didn't have a lock on that.
Sprites, nymphs, and succubae liked get very suggestive with him too.
He huffed out a harsh breath. "I'm more than my dick." Too bad the club didn't need someone to do a light show.
He could make thunder and lightning. Of course, rain or snow followed. And all the yuck that went along with both.
He chuckled. "That wouldn't go over well in a place like this." He sobered. "Man, I need to get out of the city." At least being a bouncer gave him plenty of opportunity to expel his aggression, which kept him from lighting things up or blowing them through the walls.
He grunted. "There's an asshole in every crowd." Usually more than one.
Another knock sounded on the back door. Get ready to rumble. He jerked on the handle and got ready to throw down.
Instead, he blinked when an invite with his name on it floated above the ground. Fakhir opened the missive and read it.
When you need relief from the mindless chores…
But can't get away from the hapless bores.
Gather your gear and pack for one…
You've earned some solitary fun.
For a Yule that is bright and hale…
On midnight's stroke, slip through the veil.
Below the invitation he found an address for the Goodacre Bed and Breakfast.
Hell, yeah. He couldn't scoff at some downtime … especially if he got to be alone and away from the sheer craziness of the holiday season.
Fakhir slipped his phone from his pocket and called Manfred. "Hey, boss. I'm taking my saved personal time…"

I love writing the holiday spirit sexy shorts. From the fun, festive spirit names to the conflict that has to be overcome for the HEA, it's a joyful experience!


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment