Sunday, May 12, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Feeding the Fury

Happy US Mother's Day to those who celebrate. For those with parental issues, I hope you find joy and peace.

Had the rare experience of seeing the northern lights in Ohio. I can honestly say I haven't been so excited about something in a long time. The mysteries of space are awesome!

Fairly busy week with work projects and other odds and ends. Finished up a couple of manuscripts and started a new one. I have another ongoing developmental edit that I need to dive back into this week.

Not a bad week of viewing even with a few distractions. I'm at a weird place with watching right now. I'm kind of leaning toward doing binge marathons again and I'm not sure I want to fall down that rabbit hole again.

Caught two episodes of Suspects and enjoyed both. This show is kind of choppy and that adds something to the experience. I love the cases and how things are rarely what they seem from the initial starting point.

Finished up the third season of Madame Blanc Mysteries. I'd love to see another series of this show. The cast is a lot of fun.

Watched two episodes of Silent Witness. I've realized that after the next one, I'm completely caught up with the show. I really like the current cast and I'm excited to see what the next season brings.

Enjoyed an episode of Death in Paradise. This is one I hadn't seen before and I liked the case. I'm also enjoying Jack's tenure as DI.

I think I finished out the first season of Elementary. I'm actually thrilled with how the Moriarity plot played out. I love seeing Joan kind of step in to the role of consulting detective with ease and grace. The things she sees that Sherlock doesn't is always interesting.

Watched another episode of The Batman. Nice to see Ethan back again. I'm a little bummed we haven't seen Chen for a while and I can't remember if she comes back or not.

Enjoyed the Valentine episode of Classic Rugrats. I do remember this one but not everything about it. Nice to see some longer length episodes also.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Feeding the Fury, a novella that brings a couple together against the expressed wishes of the Fury.

Here's the miniblurb:

Larue and Wade displease the Fury and she orders them to battle each other in the pyre. But the two top mages decide they won't kill each other for her pleasure, instead they'll invoke the Rite of Phoenix and if they survive, the Fury will have to abdicate her throne.

And a preview snippet…

A persistent buzz zinged under Larue's skin.

"I require your presence in your quarters."

Larue ended her conversation and excused herself from the table. She had no idea why she'd received a summons from Helena. Especially since the Fury had ample opportunity to deliver the message in person.

Larue left the common area and made her way to the residential wing. "I wonder what's going on now." She entered her suite to find Helena pacing back and forth. "You wanted to see me?" Keeping her voice tentative, she hoped the tone calmed the Fury.

Helena whirled around. "You're quite the popular mage, aren't you?" She all but spit the words out.

So much for calm…

Larue blew out a slow breath. She hated it when Helena got into a mood, mainly because Larue tried hard to not cause friction. Unless she counted the fun kind involving sex.

She shrugged and responded somewhat carefully. "If you say so."

Helena snarled. "You uppity, ungrateful bitch." Her hand whipped out and slapped Larue with a stinging blow.

Larue gnashed her teeth and barely held back a retaliatory gesture. She wouldn't give the Fury the satisfaction. Larue had learned control and she'd use it.

Lifting her chin, she kept her voice measured. "I'm not sure what brought this attack of venom on, but I don't seek popularity." She met Helena's gaze square on. "Because of the past, I approach others with kindness because that's the way I like to be treated." Glancing away, she tried to appear understanding. "As the Fury, you might not be in a position to do that. But … if you want your people to flourish and sing your praises, you could maybe do what you did with me—encourage all of them to find their strength instead of making them follow you with blind, numbing mindlessness." Okay, that might push the Fury's buttons.

Helena's lips thinned. "I rather think that little experiment proved the opposite. You're entirely too caught up in your own brilliance, my pet." Her eyes flashed angrily. "Attempting to usurp my power won't garner the acceptance you'll always seek but never find." With a flourish of her robes, she spun away and sailed out the door.

Larue tilted her head. She didn't crave Helena's power. Larue already found the only thing she wanted. A place to call home.

Helena issued one final salvo. "Tread very carefully from this point forward. And be ready to pay the price if you misstep." With a cloud of hailstorm, Helena disappeared from sight.

Larue released a gradual exhale. "That didn't go well at all." And being put on notice didn't thrill her one little bit.

This story is a joy and a challenge. I love writing over-the-top antagonists but also worry about making them too mustache twirly … even if they're female.


 

That's it for this week.

Cheers!

Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment